Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spec'ing out my dream build and was wondering if XTR brakes are center lock only? How would they bolt up to CK hubs?
 

·
No, that's not phonetic
Joined
·
14,313 Posts
I have some XT hubs with centerlocks and am experiencing the first vibrations and noise ever from my Louise and Marta brakes when paired with these rotors. Front or rear, it does not matter, they are making noises my 6 bolt rotors never did with these brakes. I am very suspicious of these things. The mounting is not as solid as 6 bolt styles. I would not go the centerlock route again.
 

·
Meh.
Joined
·
17,508 Posts
tscheezy said:
I have some XT hubs with centerlocks and am experiencing the first vibrations and noise ever from my Louise and Marta brakes when paired with these rotors. Front or rear, it does not matter, they are making noises my 6 bolt rotors never did with these brakes. I am very suspicious of these things. The mounting is not as solid as 6 bolt styles. I would not go the centerlock route again.
Are you sure it was poor tolerance with the interface and not the pads grabbing at the rotor arms?

Centerlock rotors will not bolt up to your King hubs. Shimano does have 6 bolt ISO options.
 

·
No, that's not phonetic
Joined
·
14,313 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
Are you sure it was poor tolerance with the interface and not the pads grabbing at the rotor arms?
The pads to not scrape any more of the rotor spoke than the stock rotors experience. In fact, perhaps less. This was certainly an issue when I tried some Hope rotors with the Maggies. That was a no-go. But that is a totally differnt issue, and it sounds very different. This is a shimmy-vibration, not a surging stutter like when the pads are getting hung up on rotor spokes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
tscheezy said:
The pads to not scrape any more of the rotor spoke than the stock rotors experience. In fact, perhaps less. This was certainly an issue when I tried some Hope rotors with the Maggies. That was a no-go. But that is a totally differnt issue, and it sounds very different. This is a shimmy-vibration, not a surging stutter like when the pads are getting hung up on rotor spokes.
While I don't doubt you, I'm always a bit leary mixing and matching disc rotors from manufacturers. I know people do it without adverse effects, but there are enough slight differences for me to think twice about it - track size, rotor thickness, etc... So, I think you're a little quick coming to the conclusion that it's the centerlock design that's at fault for the shimmy.

Regardless, if you're building up with Shimano calipers, feel confident going with centerlock rotors, and I would, as it's a better design than 6 bolt and designed for XTR. Cons - patented, and locks you into using Shimano rotors.

GL,
-don
 

·
No, that's not phonetic
Joined
·
14,313 Posts
For another data point, consider that the Magura Marta brake pads (and rotor brake tracks) are narrower than those of the Louise and Louise FR brakes. Yet all the brakes produce exactly the same behavior with the XT rotors. So far I have used Hayes (round), Avid (wavy and round), Hope (the round Mono), the centerlock XT, and of course various Magura rotors (Marta and Louise, round and wavy) with the Maggies. As I said above, the Hopes had too narrow a track and that was obvious from the first ride. The XTs are the same thickness as the other rotors (except the Martas which are thinner than the rest, to save weight).
 

·
1pt21Gigawatts
Joined
·
103 Posts
over the winter while building up my new bike, i picked up the DTSwiss 240 wheelsets which are centerlock hubs...i also got the Marta SLs.
Being new to the disk brake thing, i didn't realize the rotors were 6bolt. :madman:
So i bought the DTSwiss adapter piece which were recommended by some folks on this forum.
I have since ridden a good 40miles with the setup, but the brakes seem to build up a squeal to them...kind of like what TSCHEEZY mentions.
i figured 40miles should have allowed proper for the proper breaking-in period, but maybe not :confused:
Could this be due to using centerlocks with 6bolt rotors?? Or is it possibly that the pads are not broken in?
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top