Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much is too much to spend on your kid's bike?

Little backstory first... Me and my son are heavy into MTB. I started riding mostly park this summer when I got my FS, and he joined me on about half those trips (Mountain Creek, Killington, Thunder).

That's about $700 just in rentals for him, and I anticipate we'll go more next season.

He'll be 17 and if he isn't already, he'll soon be done growing. He's saved up $2k so I told him I'd match him dollar for dollar.

Discussion for another day, but not going the used bike route.

My LBS sells Pivot and Santa Cruz, so the Bronson and Nomad (Pivot's entry level enduro bikes start closer to $6k). Both are NX builds and come in just over $5k. All things being equal, I'd buy it there cause of the relationship I have with them. I trust them.

$4k with Commencal gets me much better components on an alloy frame, which I'd actually prefer. And there's a local Trek dealer, and we've been looking at the Slash 8.

Ultimately it'll be his decision, but he's nowhere near as picky as his old man. And it's a big expense for both of us, no dentists in this household!

So as these bike prices get higher and higher, where do we draw the line? Is it unreasonable for a 16 year old to ride a $5,000 bike, or is that where we are right now?

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I don't think it's the cost so much as making sure it's right. When I started riding seriously in my early twenties I had entry ish level XC hardtail.
So naturally ruined wheels.
I've no doubt either choice will be fine but I'd beef it up just to cater to someone who may start going bigger and bigger.
I don't think going 50/50 or so is unreasonable either.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Do you have any Ibis dealers in your area?

Something like the Ripmo AF NGX build or Santa Cruz Hightower R Aluminum could be a good choice and get you in just under $4K. Both can gain some travel/progression with a Cascade link if that is something you think you might need. I think the Ibis is a better value, but not having a dealer in your area might make it less attractive to you. The Deore build on the Ibis is an even better value, if you want to consider that option.

·
All fat, all the time.
9,862 Posts
That's great that he's willing to save up, and you are willing to match it. What a great way to get started early in this hobby.

As long as he's not going to outgrow it, bikes aren't getting any cheaper every year...

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Take a look at the 951 from Costco. I ride an Intense Sniper, same frame. When these popped up I snatched one for my son. NX parts on it as well but a great foundation.

·
Inspector Gadget
877 Posts
Yes it’s worth it. The bonding and time spent together is priceless, he’ll soon be gone and out in the world. I have a 17yr old son and 14yr old daughter. They have been riding MTB’s since they were 8&5. It’s been fun and I don’t regret any of the money I’ve spent on bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
change is good
Switchblade with a 38, 29+ rigid WaltWorks
3,449 Posts
Will he appreciate what you’re doing?Will he take this opportunity for granted? Will he ride the bike? Will he take care of it? Is he invested in it? Will it bring a smile to both of you? Can you afford it? I think answered your question. Of course the bike has to be worth more than his car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you have any Ibis dealers in your area?

Something like the Ripmo AF NGX build or Santa Cruz Hightower R Aluminum could be a good choice and get you in just under $4K. Both can gain some travel/progression with a Cascade link if that is something you think you might need. I think the Ibis is a better value, but not having a dealer in your area might make it less attractive to you. The Deore build on the Ibis is an even better value, if you want to consider that option.
I wish cause I'd be all over Ibis if we had em. Called every dealer on their locator within 100 miles with no luck.

Looked at the Hightower. I know I just said he's not picky, but the only 2 colors he doesn't like are orange and brown, both their colors. That alone wouldn't be reason enough not to get, but he's looking for a longer travel bike as he already has a trail bike. This one will be pretty much exclusive to riding park. And he'd prefer 27.5" wheels. No single one would be an issue, but collectively it's a no go. Plus for $4k it's really bottom of the barrel components. That price point is tough for local dealers. As much as I wanna go to my LBS, Commencal just offers so much more.

But yeah, to your point I completely agree with Ibis. Them and Transition were his first choices but we can't find any local ... And it doesn't even have to be local. We'd drive within reason, I just can't find any atm.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Take a look at the 951 from Costco. I ride an Intense Sniper, same frame. When these popped up I snatched one for my son. NX parts on it as well but a great foundation.
Shrugged it off, I'm sure like most people when I saw "Costco." That's actually a really nice bike, and the NX build isn't an issue for me at all. Not at that price anyway!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes it’s worth it. The bonding and time spent together is priceless, he’ll soon be gone and out in the world. I have a 17yr old son and 14yr old daughter. They have been riding MTB’s since they were 8&5. It’s been fun and I don’t regret any of the money I’ve spent on bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed. I have a seasonal business, so my park days are what I'm missing out on in addition to what I'm spending. Not sure there's anything else I'd rather do.

Great pic btw, good looking family! Here's mine at Killington last month.
Bicycle Wheel Sky Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

·
Registered
16,905 Posts
If you decide you can afford the expense then I don’t see any reason why $5000 would be excessive just because someone is 17 years old. Hell, around here I see a bunch of 12 year old kids with $7000+ DH bikes. 🤷🏽

·
MTBR Member since 2001...
259 Posts
@2021Mach6
If biking is something he really loves and is going to stick with, spending $5K is fine.

I might not say this for a 12 yr old who was still growing. A 17 yr old has probably started to slow down and is about what he might be... Safe to invest in.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Mostly. I'm sure once he has it been ride here and there like I do mine, but our local trails are pretty basic as he rides his hardtail mostly.
Fair enough if he will ride it other places but if just the park you could always consider if something with a dual crown and dh drivetrain will be more suitable for his needs. Might not be but worth asking about locally/lbs as if the park there is pretty full on an enduro bike will get beat up.

·
Registered
61 Posts

Little backstory first... Me and my son are heavy into MTB. I started riding mostly park this summer when I got my FS, and he joined me on about half those trips (Mountain Creek, Killington, Thunder).

That's about $700 just in rentals for him, and I anticipate we'll go more next season.

He'll be 17 and if he isn't already, he'll soon be done growing. He's saved up $2k so I told him I'd match him dollar for dollar.

My LBS sells Pivot and Santa Cruz, so the Bronson and Nomad (Pivot's entry level enduro bikes start closer to $6k). Both are NX builds and come in just over $5k. All things being equal, I'd buy it there cause of the relationship I have with them. I trust them.

$4k with Commencal gets me much better components on an alloy frame, which I'd actually prefer. And there's a local Trek dealer, and we've been looking at the Slash 8.

Ultimately it'll be his decision, but he's nowhere near as picky as his old man. And it's a big expense for both of us, no dentists in this household!

So as these bike prices get higher and higher, where do we draw the line? Is it unreasonable for a 16 year old to ride a $5,000 bike, or is that where we are right now?
Thats about $4500 more than my first car. 🤣

Is this mostly for downhill parks? Trail rides for fitness/racing?

For 5k you can go to Hawaii for 5 days or you can spend years riding together. I know what I’d choose.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts

You said your son saved $2000 towards the bike so I say go ahead and pay the rest. He's young and can pedal the extra weight (not much really) of alloy. Save a bit there if you want to. Getting to ride with him is worth the money.

Where is he getting a car when he turns 17? Be ready for the smell of gasoline and perfume to change his interests if it hasn't already.

It's probably unreasonable for any of us to ride a $5000 bike but that didn't stop us.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts