Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started riding in the late 80's and was a die hard GT guy. Raced them, loved them, and still to this day remember how great those hardtails were. I recently picked up a early 90's avalanche LE from a buddy. It is in rough shape. 8 speed bike, mag 21 that is toasted, frame needs some love as it was sitting outside ( covered ) for 15 years. I got all excited and started to buy xtr cranks, v brakes and shifters, but then the family man in me caught up and I started asking myself if it was worth the cost to rebuild the bike? I would still need a fork, wheels, and the rest of the drive train.
I am not sure how much I would ride it as my primary squishy bike makes me happy. Help , i'm stuck.....

·
slow
7,735 Posts
I loved the old GT bikes. My first mountain bike was a 1985 GT and I worked for GT dealers from 1987 to 1994.

It might be a fun project, but I wouldn't spend a ton on it. I loved my vintage bikes and still have a few around, but rarely ever ride them. Best bet for a restoration might be to find a decent donor bike and transfer the needed parts, donating the remainder to a local bike co-op. A few years back, I found a used Univega Alpina Pro that was built with a lightly used XT group and was able to buy it for $55. The parts were pulled for other bikes and I donated the frame and fork to the local co-op.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
For a bike that doesn’t real sentimental value I would say no. I wouldn’t spend much money, especially based on what it needs.

With that said I still have my 95 Tequesta that I bought new and was my first mtb. I have rebuilt but it basically just gets hand me down parts. It will still get ridden on paved paths, a hundred or so miles a year. But I wouldn’t go out of my way to put any significant money into it now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.