Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Weekend Warrior
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking to add a longer travel "have fun blasting down the hill" bike to my current stable-of-one '08 Scalpel. Looking for ~150/160mm, something in the "beefy all mountain" or "not so beefy enduro" category, I think. As such, I have a line on a nice '15 Jekyll that, from what I can tell from a few extensive reviews, seems to fit the bill quite nicely. It appears to be lighter and climb better than almost all other bikes in its category, without being too twitchy (something I'm really looking to leave behind with the Scalpel). Not to mention, I've been riding a Lefty (across three Scalpels and a Rush) since 2007 and really do love the fork. With all of that said...

Do I really want to "deal" with a Lefty 2.0? I recognize that I'll (potentially) be spreading the wear across multiple bikes (and other sports year-round), but even so, the stories and rants about the 2.0, combined with Cannondale's new take on customer service (and just... Doral, buh) are really making me consider moving away from Cannondale for good. There are lots of great bikes being made by great companies right here in America, and I'm wondering if now is the time to abandon my love my for the Lefty (as has Cannondale), or if I should go one more bike before moving on.

I guess part of what I'm asking is "is this particular bike worth it?", along with the age-old "is Lefty 2.0 worth it?"

I'd love some balanced input from you all if possible, and Craig if you're reading this I'd love your thoughts!

Thanks all in advance!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Personally I wouldn't consider a bike with Lefty 2.0 AND a niche pull shock that, as far as I know, does not have a like for like replacement should it eat itself once existing stock and spares are gone.

If it just had the 2.0 S/Max and a normal shock you'd need to get a full re-build priced in or ask the owner to get the work done. The combination of the S/Max and the Dyad is a deal breaker for me.

tl;dr old bike with two niche & finicky suspension components is asking for trouble but if you really, really want one...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Rode a 2015 Jekyll carbon team with carbon supermax 2.0 for two years. With no intention of stepping up my risk level or racing enduros, I found myself torn between the Jekyll and my hardtail. I got the "All-Mountain" craze out of my system and am happily back to xc racing, pushing hardtail limits out on trails and even singlespeeding. Had the Jekyll been more of a climber and up to the task of my favorite all day epics it might have been a different story for me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Have you considered one of the new Cannondale Habits? Excellent mid-travel full-suspension all-mountain bike. The new Triggers and Jekylls are also very capable enduro class medium-long travel bikes too, heavier yet but light compared to true downhill beasts. None of the above have a Lefty or have another fork choice readily available. Lots of new good choices depending on budget and favorite places to ride.

·
Weekend Warrior
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone! I totally forgot about the proprietary shock. Definitely not something I want to deal with later down the line. As much as I've always enjoyed supporting Cannondale as they have pushed hard into R&D, the idea of going "standard" is quite tantalizing. I've seen a lot of clean, USA-made, 2016+ bikes in my price range that are really tickling my fancy, so I think you've all managed to solidify the idea that my next bike won't be a 'Dale. I have looked a bit at the new Habit, but I'm not super into the idea of supporting/riding/dealing with Doral. I was only considering making an exception for the Jekyll in order to stay on the Lefty for one more bike.

I'm planning on keeping the Scalpel around for a while to see how much action it gets, and maybe have a light bike to continue building up/tinkering with and enjoying on less flowy terrain. It might not match the majority of the riding I'm going to do for the foreseeable future, but it's a great bike that's fun to go fast on, and I do enjoy having the last of the Cannondales with "Made in USA" on the top tube.

·
Weekend Warrior
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the affirmation Craig! Went with a Santa Cruz.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.