Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm torn. Was thinking I'd get a new FS bike, something in the 4-5 inch travel range. But I've been curious about softtails for a long time. And a softtail 29er seems even better. I currently ride a 3.5 inch travel Rocky Mountain, and occasionally a hardtail. The Rocky is about to be retired.

I ride mostly 2 hours or less, but sometimes I like to do really long rides. I used to race XC, but I don't think there are many races in my new location. The terrain here is mountainous (long climbs) and there are many technical areas (Colorado). I like the idea of low maintenance but worry that this bike won't be cushy enough for me.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Would also be interested in hearing some replies to this post. I've been thinking that my 5inch trail bike is overkill for the terrain I ride. I have a hardtail SS and lately I really prefer the get up and mash style riding over the sit and spin. Was thinking a Dos Niner with a 1x9 drivetrain, 80m front shock w lockout & XTR level buildout would be the ultimate ride. Im 5' 9" tall - thought I would be too short for a 29er but after I rode a buddies 29er, it felt super fast.

·
www.justthebonnet.com
1,475 Posts
The Dos is a great bike. I'm also 5'9" & ride a medium Dos. That one inch of travel is enough to take the sharp hits off the trail, & that's about it. If you are used to a full squish it will feel more like a hardtail than suspension. When you couple the Dos with tubeless 29er tires, that gives it enough more cushion on the trail.

Its my only bike & I race it & really enjoy it. If I had money I'd like to try a full suspension Niner but, well, I have no extra money, so I rip it up & love the Dos.

Attachments

·
That’s no moon.
940 Posts
Go for it

I just went from a 5 inch travel VT One to the Dos Niner. I moved away from the mountains, so I really thought my trailbike was overkill for the trails in my area. The rear shock helps just a little, but for the most part, it feels like a hardtail after riding the Giant. Got a nice big set of 2.3 Saguaros that I run at 18 psi. I'm happy with it so far though. It's quick, light and rolls great, even over some log obstacles... I just bought a reba race to put on to soften the blows. I ride it on the road also with some slicks and it's a blast.

FYI, I'm 5'6" and have no probs pedaling this. No toe overlap with 170mm cranks...

·
Registered
663 Posts
Those are some nice sweet rides. What are the weights on those bikes - I'm guessing 25-27lb?

Cackalacky - how do you like the Saguro's? I ride the Geax Barro Race & Barro Mountains and was going to venture into the Saguro's or Mezcal's for my 26" bike. The Barro Mountain 2.3's are awesome on my singlespeed.

Any noticeable suspension movement from the rear shock when mashing up hills on the Dos? Wondering if the Reba Race or Fox 80m w terralogic would be the best shock for fast XC type riding?

·
That’s no moon.
940 Posts
Thanks! Only have a few rides on the Saguaro's (they are 2.2s btw) so far so good. In mud they spin out some but not bad. Feels secure in turns. They don't fold over or contact the rim at low pressures like I thought they would, but they are also not as plush as I thought, either. But that may be because it's been so long since I've ridden a rigid fork. Got spoiled on my trailbike :D Feels like I could probably take the air pressure down just a bit more, but I want to try them with the Reba fork first.

Built it as a 1x9 with 32T up front so I do have to mash up hills some, but with no perceived susp. movement.
Don't know the weight yet...

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
newking said:
Those are some nice sweet rides. What are the weights on those bikes - I'm guessing 25-27lb?

Any noticeable suspension movement from the rear shock when mashing up hills on the Dos? Wondering if the Reba Race or Fox 80m w terralogic would be the best shock for fast XC type riding?
I've had every iteration of the Dos except for the new silver version, and I'd say you're a good candidate for a Dos. They definitely are awesome, efficient climbers. There's no bob or unnecessary movement out of the rear damper during climbing. As for the fork, either the RockShox or the Fox are good options, since on the Fox, the terralogic option is not an option on the 29-inch fork (nor is it an option anymore on the 26-inch fork, btw).

I've seen Dos' as light as 23 lbs, so really, your budget is really your only limit to how light your bike can be.

One thing I will mention is that, on the Dos, you can't think of it as a full suspension bike. It's more of a "hardtail with privileges," and when you think of it like that, it's a powerful, fast and fun bike to have in your quiver.

Attachments

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts

I am 6'1`" and ride this medium Dos. It is awesome and surprised me at how well it takes real technical terrain with aplomb. My biggest surprise was out in Franklin Mountain State Park in El Paso, Texas. Rocks, ledges, and big drop ins all were ridden and the Dos just sucked it all up.

I think MG hits the nail on the head when he writes, "it's a hardtail with priveledges." I like that. :thumbsup: It really sums up the soft tail idea well. Which, by the way, is tailor made for 29"er wheels.

A Dos will make you smile, and really, having fun on a bike is where it is at.

·
Freelance Whatever
211 Posts
What about weight limits on the Dos??

Being a bigger rider, I have always leaned towards the hardtail end of the spectrum. Being that a Dos is "like a hardtail with priviledges", is there a weight limit on the Dos (or the relish shock?) or is that something that I shouldn't be concerned with? I wish they still made the orange color.... That was nice....

·
Master of the Face Plant
2,901 Posts
chowdownca said:
Being a bigger rider, I have always leaned towards the hardtail end of the spectrum. Being that a Dos is "like a hardtail with priviledges", is there a weight limit on the Dos (or the relish shock?) or is that something that I shouldn't be concerned with? I wish they still made the orange color.... That was nice....
How big are you? I am 205 at 5'10" and I have never had any problems with my Dos. The relish is plenty strong. The thing that is best about the Dos is the comfort. Something about the geometry makes it the most comfortable bike I have owned. I often throw on a pair of slicks and do 50 mile organized rides like the Tour De Palm Springs. This bike is so fricken fast.

To get the full benifit from a Dos a good wheelset is key especially for us heavier boys. I run a set of Stans ZTR 355's on Dt 240's custom built and pretty stiff. They are very light and the difference between them and my old heavy wheels is really noticable. This bike corners like its on rails. I always loose my friends when corners get tight.

·
Freelance Whatever
211 Posts
bigger than that...

I'm larger than that...but workin' on getting it back down to where I used to be (about 225#). With gear, I'd say about 250-255. Will the Relish shock handle a load like that? I am currently using Crossmax29ers on a Lanza that is a little too small for me. I haven't had any issues with the supposed wheel flex on the Mavics, but I also live in a very flat part of the country and like to consider myself a fairly smooth rider, but there might be the occasional rough ride and I'd like to be sure that I'm not walking back to the trailhead. My usual ride is one the MGersib is familiar with (Wilderness Park) and it's rolling and smooth. No loading dock drops in my future!..

·
Master of the Face Plant
2,901 Posts
chowdownca said:
I'm larger than that...but workin' on getting it back down to where I used to be (about 225#). With gear, I'd say about 250-255. Will the Relish shock handle a load like that? I am currently using Crossmax29ers on a Lanza that is a little too small for me. I haven't had any issues with the supposed wheel flex on the Mavics, but I also live in a very flat part of the country and like to consider myself a fairly smooth rider, but there might be the occasional rough ride and I'd like to be sure that I'm not walking back to the trailhead. My usual ride is one the MGersib is familiar with (Wilderness Park) and it's rolling and smooth. No loading dock drops in my future!..
You won't have a problem. Crossmaxes are pretty stiff. I have taken drops up to 3 feet with it and an occasional small jump. I run the fattest tires I can get in a ust version to give me a little extra shock absorbtion. Tire clearance in the back is pretty close though running 2.35's.

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
chowdownca said:
Yep, I think you'll be good to go. I know several riders in your weight range happily rippin' it up on orange Dos Niners... on really rough trails. Wilderness will be no problem, and your forays into rougher terrain will be handled without problems unless you really do something crazy, at which point I offer no guarantees! ;-)

Good luck!

Cheers,
MG

·
Go make a difference
1,249 Posts
Here's mine...I'm 200-210 (winter weight / racing weight). The only problems I've had with it is tire rub from my Kenda Karmas 2.2 size and I snapped the weld on my 06 version at the brake caliper. The frame snap was apparently due to my use of 8" rotors and Jason asked me not to do that again -- and I'm not :thumbsup:

Otherwise, very happy with the frame. I do enduros and a lot of backcountry riding. Previously I was on a 5" travel K2 Beast and the Dos is more fun that was!

·
Registered
316 Posts
My buddie rides a Dos and he is no feather weight, 6-4 260. He loves it. We ride some tech and really rocky stuff. Put it this way, he put a kink in the fork leg of his rigid Raleigh XXIX from riding and his Dos has held up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.