Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
:\ ping of death
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goal is to transform my 24spd (3x8) into an 8spd (1x8) with a RaceFace Bash Ring..

I bought a BlackSpire Mono Veloce chainring for my single ring.

The current crankset that I have is the stock Truvativ X-Forge.

Now, my confusion is the lining up of the holes for the ring, bahguard and crankarm. Um, they dont match! The BlackSpire ring and RaceFace bash guard have matching holes but I dont know how they will attach to my current crank arm.

I wont be keeping any of my current rings so how is the crank arm going to attach to the new ring and the new bash guard??? :confused:

·
Registered
69 Posts
phoeneous said:
My goal is to transform my 24spd (3x8) into an 8spd (1x8) with a RaceFace Bash Ring..

I bought a BlackSpire Mono Veloce chainring for my single ring.

The current crankset that I have is the stock Truvativ X-Forge.

Now, my confusion is the lining up of the holes for the ring, bahguard and crankarm. Um, they dont match! The BlackSpire ring and RaceFace bash guard have matching holes but I dont know how they will attach to my current crank arm.

I wont be keeping any of my current rings so how is the crank arm going to attach to the new ring and the new bash guard??? :confused:
It won't. Looks like the X-Forge crank big ring attaches to the cranks via the spline. The middle and granny then bolt on were the granny ring ussually bolts on. This is often used on low end cranks as it's cheaper to manufacture them this way. So......it looks like you'll need new cranks with a 4 bolt 104 mm bolt pattern. Or you could try and return the stuff you bought and buy a SS crank with a bashring and chainring all ready to go. Might be the cheaper way to go.

·
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fireball said:
Or you could try and return the stuff you bought and buy a SS crank with a bashring and chainring all ready to go. Might be the cheaper way to go.
But my BB is square-tapered, dont I need an ISIS Splined one? Do they still make cranksets for square-tapered BB's?

Besides, new stuff is always better. I think I know what to do. Since I already have the ring and the bashguard is on its way, what if I buy these...

FSA V-Drive Armset

RaceFace SRX BB

·
Registered
69 Posts
phoeneous said:
But my BB is square-tapered, dont I need an ISIS Splined one? Do they still make cranksets for square-tapered BB's?

Besides, new stuff is always better. I think I know what to do. Since I already have the ring and the bashguard is on its way, what if I buy these...

FSA V-Drive Armset

RaceFace SRX BB
That would work. I'd go with the fsa platinum BB though. Raceface isis bb's don't last as well as fsa in my experience.

·
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fireball said:
That would work. I'd go with the fsa platinum BB though. Raceface isis bb's don't last as well as fsa in my experience.
Cool, thx. Is ISIS Drive the same thing as ISIS Splined? Does it matter which size I get? 68x113 or 73x113?

Then when I get the FSA armset, how do I attach it to the Blackspire ring and RF guard? I cant use my current ring bolts and I cant seem to find any online.

·
Registered
69 Posts
phoeneous said:
Cool, thx. Is ISIS Drive the same thing as ISIS Splined? Does it matter which size I get? 68x113 or 73x113?

Then when I get the FSA armset, how do I attach it to the Blackspire ring and RF guard? I cant use my current ring bolts and I cant seem to find any online.
Yes isis drive is the same as isis splined.

It matters alot which size you get. Take off your cranks and remove the BB. The size (68 or 73) should be wriiten on the BB shell.

Any online retailer or bike shop should have chainring bolts, Maybe phone them and ask if they can add them to your order if they aren't posted online.

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
fireball said:
It matters alot which size you get. Take off your cranks and remove the BB. The size (68 or 73) should be wriiten on the BB shell.
I agree but, some ISIS bottom brackets will work on either 68 or 73 mm bottom bracket shells and would use a spacer with a 68mm. You can measure the shell pretty accurately with or without a BB installed. Spindle length is also important, though less so if this will be a 1x8 than it would be for an SS bike. I think the 113 spindle will be fine, but don't hold me to it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.