Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Big Hittin'
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not sure if that what its called, but do i need the plastic piece in between the cassete and the spokes? mine is kinda cracked. can i remove it? or just grab a new one?

·
My spelling is atroshus
790 Posts
I've seen a lot of bikes that had it removed, but I leave mine on in case the chain comes off and tries to go between the cassette and spokes. I could see the spokes getting mangled if it happened. I could be wrong.:D

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
If you have a bike that is properly adjusted, NO you do not need one. HOwever with lower end parts sometimes the tolerances are not as tight and your RD if it's one of those may still have enough "wiggle room" when adjusted to get over into the spokes, so doesn't hurt to leave it on - I always remove mine, no matter what bike and never had issues, from Alivio to XT.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,697 Posts
nokfir2 said:
got a enduro expert. sram XO derailer
If you feel confident that you can keep it adjusted so as not to drop the chain off the big cog, AND have the sense of feel to know when it has been dropped before you try to pedal hard and do more damage, then you can get rid of it.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
RBowles said:
I've seen a lot of bikes that had it removed, but I leave mine on in case the chain comes off and tries to go between the cassette and spokes. I could see the spokes getting mangled if it happened. I could be wrong.:D
It happened to me.

Everything was adjusted OK... until I bent the derailer hanger during that ride....

Didn't break the spokes but caused visible damage. And later on those spokes started breaking.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,697 Posts
bad mechanic said:
Take it off and throw it away. Those things cause more issues than they solve.
What issues do they cause?

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
They're not the most robust things, and can easily spin, make noise, rub, have sections break off, clog, etc. If your drivetrain is adjusted properly, you don't really need one, and if you're super paranoid about putting a derailleur in the spokes then just limit out the big cog.

·
Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
651 Posts
As others have said, if you have confidence in the adjustment of your rear derailleur you can take the dork disk off. I guess it could save you in the event of a slightly bent derailleur arm or hanger, but I've only ever seen the spectacular form of this kind of failure first hand so far where the whole derailleur gets ingested by the spokes.

They do tend to break/come off on their own after a bit of trail use IME and collect a bunch of dirt and grime and make it harder to clean the inside of the cassette w/o taking it off the hub.

·
Big Hittin'
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
do they make a aftermarket one? amayby somthing better than the crappy cheap plastic ones?

·
Registered
815 Posts
I had the little tabs break off and mine became loose. I removed it and then had my chain come off once. You have to make sure you stay tuned or only shift on to the big cog with care. It was more trouble than it was worth after being removed, so I had another put on. No more issues.

·
too cold to ride
1,130 Posts
nokfir2 said:
do they make a aftermarket one? amayby somthing better than the crappy cheap plastic ones?
Sure, they're called pie pans and you guy them at the grocery store.

·
Big Hittin'
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i use the big cog alot when riding my local trail, always shifting it. sometimes quick and underpressure.. i guess i should leave on.

·
Big Hittin'
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BigSharks said:
Sure, they're called pie pans and you guy them at the grocery store.
sorry for not being as knowledgeable as you on bicycles.

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
nokfir2 said:
i use the big cog alot when riding my local trail, always shifting it. sometimes quick and underpressure.. i guess i should leave on.
Take it off and make sure your derailleur is adjusted properly, especially its limits. Also, don't shift under pressure.

·
Big Hittin'
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
bad mechanic said:
Take it off and make sure your derailleur is adjusted properly, especially its limits. Also, don't shift under pressure.
nuthing serious. somtimes just gotta shift goin uphill

·
too cold to ride
1,130 Posts
nokfir2 said:
sorry for not being as knowledgeable as you on bicycles.
I meant no offense- just was the first 'witty' thing that popped into my head. TBH, as long as you keep an eye on your chain, der. setup, and the teeth on your cassette, I wouldn't think you'd have an issue... and in reality, I'd be more concerned with it snapping off while riding (you don't want to leave that lying out in the woods anyway).

EDIT- try not to shift at all going uphill- it puts tremendous pressure on your chain. Better to jump off and walk, imo.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts