Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Team
Joined
·
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HELP, 888 question for anyone who knows?

For my Big Hit (2002 with 6 inches of travel in the rear), would I need to get the low rider crown if I got a 888r? Is it bad for the frame not to run one? Is it okay for the frame to have one in it? Thanks for your help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,473 Posts
DHbiker said:
this might help:

Question: Do I need the Lowrider crowns if I'm a Freerider and not a DH racer?

Answer: Yes, you need these crowns just as much as a racer. The extra long length of the 888 puts considerably more stress on your frame when landing big drops. With the Lowrider crowns the 888's length is reduced and so are the stresses from big drops. This doesn't mean you can't damage your frame from drops, but it does greatly reduce the chance of damage.

after reading this i would say get the lowrider crowns. just my $.02
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
827 Posts
no, you don't. the big hit is plenty strong and the height issue of the 888 isn't really that big a deal. if you've got the 6" link, you'd be better off getting the 7" 888 so that your front and rear ends will be more balanced.
 

·
Team
Joined
·
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
smelly said:
no, you don't. the big hit is plenty strong and the height issue of the 888 isn't really that big a deal. if you've got the 6" link, you'd be better off getting the 7" 888 so that your front and rear ends will be more balanced.
After that I plan on getting a 8 inch travel kit for the rear and I am running a 6 inch Junior T right now anyway, thanks. And since I only ride downhill I like the tilted back feel, would a 26 inch rear wheel help if it was tilted too much before I got the 8 inch kit in the back?
 

·
Chillin the Most
Joined
·
4,025 Posts
DHbiker said:
For my Big Hit (2002 with 6 inches of travel in the rear), would I need to get the low rider crown if I got a 888r? Is it bad for the frame not to run one? Is it okay for the frame to have one in it? Thanks for your help.
Also be aware that you will need them if you have a large frame.
The max stack height you can run between the stock crowns on a 888 is 160mm(6.29").

The HT's on Big Hit (w/o headset) range from..
small - 128mm(5.04")
Med - 137mm(5.39")
Large - 140mm (5.51")
 

·
Chillin the Most
Joined
·
4,025 Posts
DHbiker said:
After that I plan on getting a 8 inch travel kit for the rear and I am running a 6 inch Junior T right now anyway, thanks. And since I only ride downhill I like the tilted back feel, would a 26 inch rear wheel help if it was tilted too much before I got the 8 inch kit in the back?
Probably not. And keep in mind all this additional height with the 888 and considered 26" rear wheel conversion, will make you bike higher and steepen your head angle, making it more unstable to ride. Basically you'll have a really tall XC looking Big Hit. You want to try to keep it a close to the actual BB height as possible when adding forks and such, so you get the best performance out of the bikes design.
 

·
Glad to Be Alive
Joined
·
43,000 Posts
save your money (not buying drop down crowns)and get an 7 inch 888....Get the Big hit link (extra travel. You will get your money's worth. .Sell your bike if you are going to confort to 26 inch rear.
 

·
where's the kick stand?
Joined
·
674 Posts
red5 said:
Also be aware that you will need them if you have a large frame.
The max stack height you can run between the stock crowns on a 888 is 160mm(6.29").

The HT's on Big Hit (w/o headset) range from..
small - 128mm(5.04")
Med - 137mm(5.39")
Large - 140mm (5.51")
ya,you dont really need 'em if your heatube will fit them.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top