Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Go faster!
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I need so many tools to install XTR 970 crankset?

Thats my question, because I want to buy the XTR 970 crankset and the webstore alerts me that I need to buy at least 3 shimano special tools! I already have Shimano TL-FC32 bottom bracket installation tool that I bought with the XT crankset along with other tools.

Shimano TL-FC16 crank installation tool its unnecessary plastic tool (for XT cranks).

Shimano TL-FC17 crank installation tool its unnecessary plastic tool also.

Shimano TL-FC35 crank removal tool, will only be needed if you want to remove the cranks, but I really doubt about this one as my older LX cranks never needed any special tools and the crank arms always came off with a gentle hamering.

TL-FC32

OK with this one...

8mm hex wrench, everybody has that.

I found all very explained here at parktool:
https://www.parktool.com/repair/readcalvinscorner.asp?id=157

I guess I wont need any special tool as shimano want to force us to buy by building diferent 'standards' everytime they release a new groupset.

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
You don't need the XT tool. You don't need the TL-FC-17 if you have any finger grip strength at all, but you do want the TL-FC35 removal tool as there is no place to gently hammer the cranks for removal that won't lever the spline interface on the non-drive side. If you buy the XTR cranks from Chain Reaction Cycles, they come with the TL-FC35 and 17 tools. Other than that, the standard external BB bearing cup tool is all you need (and the 8mm Allen wrench) .

·
Go faster!
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rockyuphill said:
You don't need the XT tool. You don't need the TL-FC-17 if you have any finger grip strength at all, but you do want the TL-FC35 removal tool as there is no place to gently hammer the cranks for removal that won't lever the spline interface on the non-drive side. If you buy the XTR cranks from Chain Reaction Cycles, they come with the TL-FC35 and 17 tools. Other than that, the standard external BB bearing cup tool is all you need (and the 8mm Allen wrench) .
Yes the TL-FC16 was one of the unnecessary tool I bought with the XT crankset I didnt want to repeat the extra spending again ..not that it is very expensive, but if you dont need it, leave it.

I think for now I'll buy the crankset only, then when I need to remove it I'll get the removing tool.

thanks

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
If you buy the XTR cranks from Chain Reaction Cycles, they come with the TL-FC35
Not anymore they aren't. They are sending out OEM takeoffs without the XTR Box or the tools.
I ordered the Xtr M970 crankset from Chain Reaction Cycles and they sent me one without an official box, without the TL-FC35 or the TL-FC17. Then to make matters worse customer service has been so difficult that it became impposible and not worth my time to deal with them.
They wanted me to send them a picture of all the parts that had arrived !
This is after I had sent a very detailed email about the missing TL-FC17 & TL-FC35.
I had allready mounted them on the bike and they seemed absolutely clueless as to how to resolve my problem.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Just an update, e-mail from CRC in case anyone was wondering what was included.

"Hi there,

Thank you for your recent email. TLFC35 is not included but TLFC32 and TLFC17 is.

Regards"

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just received my M970 XTR crankset from CRC last weekend. It doesn't come with any of the 3 tools at all. The item was in a cardboard box with the BB wrapped in plastic bag.

So far it seem to need these 3 tools to install / remove M970 XTR crankset:
1) TL-FC32 Bottom Bracket Wrench with 16-notches
2) TL-FC17 Adjustment Ring
3) TL-FC35 Crank Arm Screw

I have the Park Tool BBT-9 wrench which should be similar to TL-FC32. In effect, I need to hunt for TL-FC35.

·
Go faster!
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actionsports has a very good price on the XTR cranks and they come in the original shimano XTR carboard box with TL-FC35 and TL-FC17 tools. watch out for Chain Reaction Cycles they are very expensive!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've finished installing the XTR crankset on my bike last evening. Quite excited with it as it's the first time I am doing this kind of task on my own. Took me total 1.5 hours to remove existing crankset and install the new XTR crankset.

I even had it blogged to share my experience. ;)
Shieldwulf's Shimano M970 XTR Crankset Installation

shieldwulf said:
I just received my M970 XTR crankset from CRC last weekend. It doesn't come with any of the 3 tools at all. The item was in a cardboard box with the BB wrapped in plastic bag.

So far it seem to need these 3 tools to install / remove M970 XTR crankset:
1) TL-FC32 Bottom Bracket Wrench with 16-notches
2) TL-FC17 Adjustment Ring
3) TL-FC35 Crank Arm Screw

I have the Park Tool BBT-9 wrench which should be similar to TL-FC32. In effect, I need to hunt for TL-FC35.

·
More Torque
2,037 Posts
sergio_pt said:
Actionsports has a very good price on the XTR cranks and they come in the original shimano XTR carboard box with TL-FC35 and TL-FC17 tools. watch out for Chain Reaction Cycles they are very expensive!
Can you post a link to this site? I've not heard of them. Thanks!

·
Ultimated Outsider
570 Posts
Tools are include with the cranks. Sound like the e-tailer is trying to scam more money for something that is included from the factory.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Quick question on the install of the XTR crank.....

I installed and torqued the BB down using the correct number of spacers for my frame.

Inserted the drive side arm, but when I went to attach the left arm by hand, the spline interface barely made contact. This left almost no gap between the adjusting nut and the BB on the left side. (I did make sure prior to install that the adjusting nut was tight to the crank arm)

Now my understanding is that tightening the crank bolt to the required torque will cause the axle spline fully interlock with the crank, but the park tools site (figure 6 in link below) shows a significant gap between the adjusting nut and the BB which I am definitely not getting.
This means that I won't have any room to tighten the adjusting nut against the BB to set the bearing pre-load. I'm a little hesitant to torque up the crank bolt as I don't see how that will give me any more room. I hope that made sense.......any thoughts?

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readcalvinscorner.asp?id=157

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.