Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did the research and decided that the Santa Cruz blur would be a good bike selection for my riding area and xc racing. After thinking about spending 6grand on another bike, I am rethinking it. Do I need to spend 6 grand on a bike to have fun and do some races? Probably not as I already have a carbon single speed too. So, can I have some suggestions of two or three year old bikes that would fit the bill? I would like to spend 3 grand or less on a xc rig. Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Used any of the following - I am assuming 100 FS is what you are looking at

Specialized Epic
Trek Top Fuel
Scott Spark RC
Pivot 429 SL
etc.

I am sure there are more. Depends on what comes up, but locally there are guys that sell 1 -2 year old race bikes since they get new bike with team discounts.

There are lots of really good ones and few poor ones. However personal preference is important.

This January my GF picked up a 2018 Trek Top fuel 9.7 for $2200. Used 1 season.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I think you have the right idea, you probably don't need a brand new bike.
Lots of good deals on lightly used bikes can be found by checking Pinkbike/Craigslist/Kijiji.

As long as you can demo the bike and give it a good once over before putting down cash you can probably find a good deal and be happy for years to come.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had this same debate (with a Blur, as it turns out). I ended up purchasing a lower build Blur for a few reasons: I can always upgrade components. I get the Santa Cruz warranty. I get the support of my local bike shop. I figured that the peace mind was worth spending extra dollars, rather than buying a unknown bike from an unknown someone on Pinkbike (I live in the hinterlands, so any used bike I purchase on Pinkbike would be shipped to me). For what it is worth, I love the Blur!

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
I'll add a Giant Anthem. Friend just got one for 2k. I'm unsure of the build.

Also a salsa spearfish. It's not known as a full out xc race bike, it's marathon, but I really like Dave Weagle did with the suspension. It can be active or super firm with the flip of a lever.

Niner RTK - Friend has this and it definitely bobs more than my spearfish, but it may be his setup. If it can win the cohutta 100, which is basically a 100 mile gravel race it has to be somewhat efficient.

·
Registered
12 Posts
A bit late, but check out a canyon lux, they are a direct to consumer brand so you get a better bike with better components for less. Probably won’t be able to find many used, but its another option that seems to be a pretty good one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.