Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its generally obvious when a new tire is in order (cracks, leaking sealant, missing knobs). However I could use some advise. My tire is in generally good shape, 1 have only ridden it about 600-700 miles. However I am starting to see the tire threads in the centerline of the tire between the knobs. The edges look great, but I want to make sure I avoid a flat. I have an XC race coming up next month and dont want any issues... Am I being picky, or is it time for a new tire. Tire: Continental Trail King (29x2.4)

·
Registered
315 Posts
I don’t understand how that can happen unless it was a defect.

Its generally obvious when a new tire is in order (cracks, leaking sealant, missing knobs). However I could use some advise. My tire is in generally good shape, 1 have only ridden it about 600-700 miles. However I am starting to see the tire threads in the centerline of the tire between the knobs. The edges look great, but I want to make sure I avoid a flat. I have an XC race coming up next month and dont want any issues... Am I being picky, or is it time for a new tire. Tire: Continental Trail King (29x2.4) View attachment 1940777

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,870 Posts
I use trail kings exclusively...and they've worn out, but not like that. what pressure you runnin ?

at any rate, for a race, and that tire ? I'd put brand new tires on

FWIW, not normal
this is my high pressure Trail King about due for replacement.

OP's center knobs don't look as worn as mine, and I don't have cords showin
OP's tire has a lot of vent spews still attached. mine are long gone

I say defective tire, or stored improperly before use....

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I run 27psi in the front, and do a fair amount of road/pavement between my house and the trail (about 1 mile each trip). The tire very well may be defective, however I should probably lower the overall tire pressure. The trails by me are SoCal hardpack desert. Lots of rock too. I am used to overall wear, and this is the first time I have seen this. Im gonna just go ahead and replace the tire. Thanks for the advise.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yeah, good chance the tread gauge was low when it was extruded. I would expect the tire to be underweight if that's were the case.
As these guys have said, that seams like a defect/ poor QC. given that you've only used about 20% of the tread I'd send picks to Conti and enquire about it? you might get a freebie

·
Registered
54 Posts
I don't think that's threads, that looks like dirt, same exact color as the dirt a little higher up on that tire. That area will almost never hit ground, it's between 2 raised knobs. Doesn't make sense that it would wear down. Those little indents might just be in the mold of the tire. What happens if you use a small brush and clean that area, I almost bet the light brown washes away.

·
SPECIALizED
576 Posts
I do a lot of pavement miles getting to trailheads. Though I've never had cords showing, I can see that the space between the knobs is making contact with the ground.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't think that's threads, that looks like dirt, same exact color as the dirt a little higher up on that tire. That area will almost never hit ground, it's between 2 raised knobs. Doesn't make sense that it would wear down. Those little indents might just be in the mold of the tire. What happens if you use a small brush and clean that area, I almost bet the light brown washes away.
I thought this at first, but it wont wash off and its pretty consistent.. it also feels like threads with my fingernail

·
rth009
950 Posts
Id get a new tire(s) and then keep riding that, while monitoring after rides, until a week before your race then put on the new one(s).

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pretty certain its threads showing through... I washed my bike and the tires and cleaned the dirt off... still showing the threads.... Reached out to Continental... lets see how that goes... bought a replacement tire ($70 isnt worth a crash).

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
It's definitely a defect. If it were due to wear the flashing (longitudinal line of rubber where the two piece mold comes together) would be worn away.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's definitely a defect. If it were due to wear the flashing (longitudinal line of rubber where the two piece mold comes together) would be worn away.
Agreed... lets see how Continental handles this.... hopefully their customer service is better than Mavic

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
12,964 Posts
Agree it's a defect. OP's tire is far from worn out.

If you want to see a worn out tire, look up at post #4 (@127.0.0.1's tire). Personally I would have replaced that tire twice before it ever got that worn out. Talk about getting your money's worth! But loopback & I may live & ride in dramatically different conditions & terrains that allow him to wear his tires down to bald whereas I can't away with it.
=sParty

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,870 Posts
Agree it's a defect. OP's tire is far from worn out.

If you want to see a worn out tire, look up at post #4 (@127.0.0.1's tire). Personally I would have replaced that tire twice before it ever got that worn out. Talk about getting your money's worth! But loopback & I may live & ride in dramatically different conditions & terrains that allow him to wear his tires down to bald whereas I can't away with it.
=sParty
I do a lot of pavement on that bike to reach rocky trail, so this still works for me. but have hit some mud with it and in that condition it's lost a lot of it's capability....so...yeah last ride was muddy and I was bitchin at myself

Reactions: Sparticus

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yeah, good chance the tread gauge was low when it was extruded. I would expect the tire to be underweight if that's were the case.
Underweight? Slap that puppy on for a race win then! All those other suckers will be floundering around on their obese Schwalbes while the OP flies past on their ultra weight weenie tyre. Grams for the win!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts