Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its generally obvious when a new tire is in order (cracks, leaking sealant, missing knobs). However I could use some advise. My tire is in generally good shape, 1 have only ridden it about 600-700 miles. However I am starting to see the tire threads in the centerline of the tire between the knobs. The edges look great, but I want to make sure I avoid a flat. I have an XC race coming up next month and dont want any issues... Am I being picky, or is it time for a new tire. Tire: Continental Trail King (29x2.4)

·
Registered
468 Posts
I don't understand how that can happen unless it was a defect.

Its generally obvious when a new tire is in order (cracks, leaking sealant, missing knobs). However I could use some advise. My tire is in generally good shape, 1 have only ridden it about 600-700 miles. However I am starting to see the tire threads in the centerline of the tire between the knobs. The edges look great, but I want to make sure I avoid a flat. I have an XC race coming up next month and dont want any issues... Am I being picky, or is it time for a new tire. Tire: Continental Trail King (29x2.4) View attachment 1940777

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
8,329 Posts
I use trail kings exclusively...and they've worn out, but not like that. what pressure you runnin ?

at any rate, for a race, and that tire ? I'd put brand new tires on

FWIW, not normal
this is my high pressure Trail King about due for replacement.

OP's center knobs don't look as worn as mine, and I don't have cords showin
OP's tire has a lot of vent spews still attached. mine are long gone

I say defective tire, or stored improperly before use....

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I run 27psi in the front, and do a fair amount of road/pavement between my house and the trail (about 1 mile each trip). The tire very well may be defective, however I should probably lower the overall tire pressure. The trails by me are SoCal hardpack desert. Lots of rock too. I am used to overall wear, and this is the first time I have seen this. Im gonna just go ahead and replace the tire. Thanks for the advise.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I don't think that's threads, that looks like dirt, same exact color as the dirt a little higher up on that tire. That area will almost never hit ground, it's between 2 raised knobs. Doesn't make sense that it would wear down. Those little indents might just be in the mold of the tire. What happens if you use a small brush and clean that area, I almost bet the light brown washes away.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't think that's threads, that looks like dirt, same exact color as the dirt a little higher up on that tire. That area will almost never hit ground, it's between 2 raised knobs. Doesn't make sense that it would wear down. Those little indents might just be in the mold of the tire. What happens if you use a small brush and clean that area, I almost bet the light brown washes away.
I thought this at first, but it wont wash off and its pretty consistent.. it also feels like threads with my fingernail

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pretty certain its threads showing through... I washed my bike and the tires and cleaned the dirt off... still showing the threads.... Reached out to Continental... lets see how that goes... bought a replacement tire ($70 isnt worth a crash).

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
17,992 Posts
It's definitely a defect. If it were due to wear the flashing (longitudinal line of rubber where the two piece mold comes together) would be worn away.
Agree it's a defect. OP's tire is far from worn out.

If you want to see a worn out tire, look up at post #4 (@127.0.0.1's tire). Personally I would have replaced that tire twice before it ever got that worn out. Talk about getting your money's worth! But loopback & I may live & ride in dramatically different conditions & terrains that allow him to wear his tires down to bald whereas I can't away with it.
=sParty

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
8,329 Posts
Agree it's a defect. OP's tire is far from worn out.

If you want to see a worn out tire, look up at post #4 (@127.0.0.1's tire). Personally I would have replaced that tire twice before it ever got that worn out. Talk about getting your money's worth! But loopback & I may live & ride in dramatically different conditions & terrains that allow him to wear his tires down to bald whereas I can't away with it.
=sParty
I do a lot of pavement on that bike to reach rocky trail, so this still works for me. but have hit some mud with it and in that condition it's lost a lot of it's capability....so...yeah last ride was muddy and I was bitchin at myself

Reactions: Sparticus
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.