Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Do it for Deegan
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I have a 8 speed cassette and I thought a 10 speed would fit because the cogs are closer together but the guy at the bike shop said that if i jump to a 10 speed from an 8 then I would need a new hub because the cassette would be to wide. Is this true?

·
Do it for Deegan
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Like Nater said 8 & 10 speed cassettes will work on the same freehub body. You just need to be sure you have a cassette and not a freewheel.
I was worried the bike shop owner was just trying to pull one on me and I always take what a shop owner says with a large grain of salt because
i know they just want me to buy buy buy. Yes it is 100% a cassette body.

·
NedwannaB
12,792 Posts
TRAIL 29 5 - Trail 29er - Hardtail 29er - Mountain - Bikes - 2013 (bike)

Hubbs: CANNONDALE C4 - Thats all it says on the websites specifications
I would just take your wheel in to the shop that you patronize with the intent to buy components/or at least have them do the conversion, and have the mechanic swap one on to check it out. Surely they'll have a used 10 spd cassette laying around to do a test run on your wheel. ~5 min procedure. If not, find another shop. ;)

·
Do it for Deegan
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would just take your wheel in to the shop that you patronize with the intent to buy components/or at least have them do the conversion, and have the mechanic swap one on to check it out. Surely they'll have a used 10 spd cassette laying around to do a test run on your wheel. ~5 min procedure. If not, find another shop. ;)
Just got back from a shop were I offered to pop my wheel off myself which already had the chain and cassette removed from the bike so they would literally just have to set a 10 speed cassette on it which would take less than a minute of their time and they blew me off. It was even the shop I got my bike from. Needless to say they wont be getting any business from me anymore.

·
NedwannaB
12,792 Posts
Just got back from a shop were I offered to pop my wheel off myself which already had the chain and cassette removed from the bike so they would literally just have to set a 10 speed cassette on it which would take less than a minute of their time and they blew me off. It was even the shop I got my bike from. Needless to say they wont be getting any business from me anymore.
That's crazy. Hopefully other shops close by that will help and get your buiz.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
You are doing a complete drivetrain swap right? shifter, derailleur, and chain? maybe you are getting blown off because its not compatible with the rest of your bike.

Also why do you need a 10sp? I am on 11 speed now but in truth I have seen no improvement in gear range since 3x 8sp. The switch from 7 speed to 8 speed compact drive (w/20t grannie) when i finally consistently started to clean techy 20% climbs was the last time a gear swap truly improved my riding.

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
You are doing a complete drivetrain swap right? shifter, derailleur, and chain? maybe you are getting blown off because its not compatible with the rest of your bike.

Also why do you need a 10sp? I am on 11 speed now but in truth I have seen no improvement in gear range since 3x 8sp. The switch from 7 speed to 8 speed compact drive (w/20t grannie) when i finally consistently started to clean techy 20% climbs was the last time a gear swap truly improved my riding.
ya, I kinda agree, though I do like 9 speed, and not just the "range" but I always hated the large hop of the final grannie ring on the cassette, kinda wish they had made an 8 (or even 7) that was more distributed in the low/mid range. don't much care about the "math" of gearing as it never makes much sense when actually riding. Never have I done the shift front a ring and the rear 2 or what ever to get the next step in gearing. just shift the front or the rear it's self depending on what I was heading into.

but back to the point.. yes, 8-9-10 speed should be all interchangeable with cassettes.

·
Do it for Deegan
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Im changing every drivetrain component because all mine were entry level and the only thing entry level about me is my price range. I was already over riding my components the first day on the trail with them. With my riding style and the terrain I ride on I need the most secure drivetrain I can get hence the 1x with a clutched derailleur. The reason im upgrading from my 8 speed is because its getting faded from the market so I want components that are current and everyone seems to be sticking with or close to 10. I am in no way doing a needless conversion.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.