1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current set-up is:

cassette: Shimano HG50, 11-36, 10-speed
Crankset: Shimano M522, 24/32/42

Given how rare 3 speed cranks are, i may have to settle for a 2x....
Would my current cassette be adequate, or would i need something with more teeth or even an 11x cassette? btw, my shifter is for 10 speed.

·
slow
7,747 Posts
Your current cassette will be compatible with a 2x crank, so you will not need to change cassettes for compatibility.

You may have to change cassettes because of wear. If your current chain and cassette are worn and do not work with the new chainrings because of wear, you'll have to replace the casette and chain.

You may wish to change cassette to adjust your gearing. Depending on the chainring sizes on the new crank you may lose some range, so you might want to change the cassette to regain some range.

·
Advanced Slacker
15,334 Posts
Your current cassette will be fine, it is just a matter of having the right size rings for the range you want.

I am not quite following whether you are switching to 2x because you want to or think you have to.

If you want to switch to 2x you don’t need to buy a new crankset. Just run 2 rings in the small and middle positions of your 3x crankset. You can put a bash-guard in the big ring position if you want to.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,609 Posts
I am also curious about the reason for the switch.
Me, too. I mean, there are some totally solid reasons to switch. One being that OP has rings that are riveted to the cranks, so when they wear out, the whole crank has to be replaced. Or maybe they're square taper and the bb interface is wallowed out. Or maybe the pedal threads are trashed. Or a crank arm broke.

OP is probably looking for an upgrade along with the change, and it's true that there aren't really any NEW higher end mtb triple cranks. Gonna have to hit the used market for one, like you said.

I think the bigger concern regarding shifting is OP's front derailleur. Since OP has a 3x now, that front derailleur won't work on a 2x crank. Changes like this are RARELY just one part. It winds up spiraling into a pit of changes. So either do it all (expensive, may not be worth it for the bike you have), or stay as close to what you have as possible.

·
slow
7,747 Posts
Since OP has a 3x now, that front derailleur won't work on a 2x crank.
Depends on the derailleur and shifter, but I have used a 3x derailleur and shifter on several 2x setups by adjusting the limit screw on the derailleur and the cable tension on the shifter. I've got bikes set up this way right now both with the granny deleted and with the big ring deleted.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,609 Posts
Depends on the derailleur and shifter, but I have used a 3x derailleur and shifter on several 2x setups by adjusting the limit screw on the derailleur and the cable tension on the shifter. I've got bikes set up this way right now both with the granny deleted and with the big ring deleted.
A 2x specific crank has a different chainline and a bigger gap between chainrings than what 3x derailleurs can handle.

Yes, if you use a 3x crank to make a 2x drivetrain, no problem. But 2x specific cranksets are different.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
6,213 Posts
A 2x specific crank has a different chainline and a bigger gap between chainrings than what 3x derailleurs can handle.

Yes, if you use a 3x crank to make a 2x drivetrain, no problem. But 2x specific cranksets are different.
That's weird b/c I've done it...long time ago before I "knew better". I had an XT shifter with the 2x/3x switch and some old SRAM derailleur. It just looked a bit odd since I had to leave it mounted high as if it was still using all 3 rings, but shifting was decent.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,609 Posts
That's weird b/c I've done it...long time ago before I "knew better". I had an XT shifter with the 2x/3x switch and some old SRAM derailleur. It just looked a bit odd since I had to leave it mounted high as if it was still using all 3 rings, but shifting was decent.
2x crank or 3x crank with only 2 rings? Makes a big difference.

Look at the specs on front derailleurs. They are different between 2x and 3x models. Max capacity and max gap between rings differs. 3x can fit a bigger ring overall, but smaller jumps between cogs. 2x der fits a smaller max chainring, but a bigger jump from small to big.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
6,213 Posts
2x crank or 3x crank with only 2 rings? Makes a big difference.

Look at the specs on front derailleurs. They are different between 2x and 3x models. Max capacity and max gap between rings differs. 3x can fit a bigger ring overall, but smaller jumps between cogs. 2x der fits a smaller max chainring, but a bigger jump from small to big.
Yes, I know the difference, thanks. XT m-785 crank with 26/38 rings.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.