Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<style type="text/css">p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120%; }</style> Hello all,

I have a mid 90s Giant ATX840 which I've been riding to work and back for the past few months, about 16km round trip. The past few weeks I've been hearing a "kink" sound when I press hard on the pedals, it seems to be mostly when the pedals are at the bottom position and I think it's getting worse. At first I thought maybe it was the chain taping on something or maybe even my bike lock making noise, but now I think it might be my bottom bracket. So I took my bottom bracket out which is a sealed design and it seems rather hard to turn. I guess it's hard to describe, I can turn it with my fingers but it's sort of tight. And in case it helps, it's size is 68, 113, “Tange BC 1.37x24 T JAPAN 047747”.

Thanks,
Bruce

·
Registered
592 Posts
It might be just the crank is loose, but at that age, I would suspect it needs replacing. I rode a road bike for several months with a broken bb axle.

I need to replace mine too, but I figure I have a couple more rides of denial first.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts