Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I stopped riding when I went to college in 2007. I had saved and saved for a bike before I was 16 and put it to good use, but it has been hanging in my parents garage in NH for years. I'd like to get back out there and take advantage of the area I live in now (arizona), but went to look at bikes and they are 4x what they were 10 years ago.

SO

Should I have my old 2003 Jamis Dakar Sport (Jamis Dakar Sport 2003 Full Suspension Reviews - Mtbr.com) shipped to me (all stock but pedals and wheels)? Or should I invest in a new bike?

If option #1, what should I update, change, fix?

If option #2, what should I be looking at? Price is flexible, but I had $1000 in mind before seeing the market. Travels are desert and northers AZ desert forests. All mountain I guess? Moab. I like to do dumb stuff, but not as dumb as a lot of guys here I'm sure. But most will be hard packed trails.

I'm 5'11", 165lbs, average/lean build, enjoy walks on the beach, longer torso, shorter legs. I don't know what else I should include these days, as it is nothing like I remember haha.

Thanks for the help, sorry for the volume.

2003-Jamis-Dakar-Sport-bikes.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, I know if I go new, that most will be comparable, and there is not a holy grail of entry level bikes. I'm more looking for what is a good value brand/bike, like Jamis in 2003. Is there a set of components I want or want to avoid. It seems like a hot button now, but wheel size. Anything else that you think is important.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Find out what would cost to ship,I'd guess around $100. If the bike doesn't need anything that would be the cheapest. I'd ride it as is until things break/wear out or something not working in the desert (like tires) . You could find some demo days to try out new bikes or rent.Bikes are mostly alike within a price range,fit is the most important thing.All the major brands have something in your price range.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I have a 2006 Dakar comp that I slowly revived so that I could give it to my brother. The frame design is virtually the same as the 2003 except for the rear shock. Its a great riding bike so definitely just ride it the way it is until you bust it.

·
Registered
9,556 Posts
I'd also just ride the Jamis. You're not likely to gain much, if any, performance over it in the $1000 range for new bikes, though if you could find some good deals on the used market.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Another vote here for going used. I am always on the hunt for used mtbs on Craigslist and see a lot of good bikes in the 1000$ range. You just have to know what you're looking at so you don't get a clunker.

·
Registered
973 Posts
So I stopped riding when I went to college in 2007. I had saved and saved for a bike before I was 16 and put it to good use, but it has been hanging in my parents garage in NH for years. I'd like to get back out there and take advantage of the area I live in now (arizona), but went to look at bikes and they are 4x what they were 10 years ago.

SO

Should I have my old 2003 Jamis Dakar Sport (Jamis Dakar Sport 2003 Full Suspension Reviews - Mtbr.com) shipped to me (all stock but pedals and wheels)? Or should I invest in a new bike?

If option #1, what should I update, change, fix?

If option #2, what should I be looking at? Price is flexible, but I had $1000 in mind before seeing the market. Travels are desert and northers AZ desert forests. All mountain I guess? Moab. I like to do dumb stuff, but not as dumb as a lot of guys here I'm sure. But most will be hard packed trails.

I'm 5'11", 165lbs, average/lean build, enjoy walks on the beach, longer torso, shorter legs. I don't know what else I should include these days, as it is nothing like I remember haha.

Thanks for the help, sorry for the volume.

View attachment 887890
kinda left me wondering where you were headed with the "enjoy walks on the beach..." comment...you are looking for a bike kinda ditty are you not :skep: ?

and why the reference to tuna...scratch that comment :nono: it's not important

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome to hear guys, I was getting down on the guy. I assumed with the inflation, some epic stuff had come to market that I HAD to have (I'm sure I'll get some acquisition disorder in time), like full suspension and disc brakes when they showed up.

I will get her out here and put some trips on her. If I were to start upgrading, what would suggestions be, for over time while I browse around the site?

New tires are probably a must with 7 years off. A new rear shock (do they fit this old guy)? It seems stems and handle bars have changed a bunch. Would that throw off the geometry in a bad way?

Anyway, I am excited to get back at it and know it is worth shipping out. I have all my old gear still, so it will be cheaper than expected at first. And I'll have to knock the spiders out of my shorts.

Also congrats to the guy with his 1,000th post here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
kinda scary you say you "enjoy walks on the beach..." you are looking for a bike kinda ditty are you not :skep: ?
When you type that many words in your first post, you have to break it up with a bit of humor ;) Plus I might have been looking for a new girlfriend if I picked up a $4k bike like the ones I saw when first started looking.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
At $1000, you can certainly get a more capable bike. But the cost of shipping is not so terribly high and it buys you a lot of time. Have the bike shipped out, and also go to demo days and try other bikes. If something impresses you as better, you can keep an eye for it to show up on Craig's List, EBay, here, etc.

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Upgrade the rear shock to air and it will get a lot better and lighter, other than that ride it like it is until stuff wears/breaks.

Had one of those back in the day and it was a great affordable ride.

·
Registered
8,628 Posts
Rule of thumb on this forum: Pretty much everyone needs a new bike!

I have a 96 Dakar. It doesn't see much action these days, but it is a fun and capable bike that could do pretty much whatever I needed it to, in a pinch.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,500 Posts
Perfectly capable bike. I ride a FS from that year, also. A solid tune-up would be a good idea, too, on top of the new rubber. Depending on the condition of the grease in your bearings, maybe an overhaul. Changing the bars and stem a whole bunch might or might not be a bad change. It depends on how the bike fits you now and how you like the handling.

Pivot bearings on a FS mtb need periodic replacement. I've replaced mine several times. Don't be surprised if that's also necessary.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Awesome. I am looking at getting it out here. I am going to find a local shop here in the valley, get it tuned up, look at at a new rear for a bit so I know what I am getting, and a new helmet/cleats. I can't wait to get it out there. I as hiking in sedona and a couple of guys came wiping down some single track and I had flashbacks and can't stop thinking about riding again since then.

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Ride it for what it is and you'll soon find out if it's worth keeping, or other needs(ie: longer travel, lighter weight, more gear choices, etc.).

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
When you type that many words in your first post, you have to break it up with a bit of humor ;) Plus I might have been looking for a new girlfriend if I picked up a $4k bike like the ones I saw when first started looking.
Your girlfriend is gonna dictate how much you can spend? The proper response to her is "AINT NO RING ON THIS FINGER!"

Disclaimer: doesn't work if you're the reason why there ain't no ring.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Wow... read Kragu's disclaimer before giving that a go! (however, if you go that route you can spend whatever you want on a new ride) I say ship the old bike... tune it up and replace the tires and you're good to go with a decent bike!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts