Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my new custom built Trek 6000 mountain bike. It is an older 2001 26er frame I purchased on eBay. It has been completely rebuilt with mostly new parts except for the wheelset, brakes, shifter, and tires, which are used. Literally just finished the build at 3:45 am and took it for a test ride.

Its a simple 1X9 design with a rigid fork for better uphill climbing and overall speed, which also helped save money on the build and cut weight as well. May convert to a 3X9 (27 speeds), but for now you gotta love the bling factor.

So far, it's really fun to ride and surprisingly very light weight. Still have a little fine tuning to do, not to mention things like cutting cable housing length and capping off cable ends. I will also soon need to replace a derailleur cable I cut too short that got partially frayed inside the housing. Also need to clean the rims and tires, which are pretty hideous!

All in all, I'm happy with the way it turned out...but, do I need a longer chain? I fear that I cut the one I had too short, not realizing I had most likely already previously cut the same chain for a similar build. If I shift into the lowest gear, the chain is practically in a straight line with both pulleys on the derailleur. This is a 9 speed set up, but I have three 10 speed chains available for this build if I need them, but my question is, can I use them? Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle fork

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! That's pretty much what I suspected, but I may try and push this one to its limits just to see what happens. What I did notice is that once I have it on the lowest gear, I can physically give the chain a touch to push it further, but I'm a little nervous to see what happens under load!

·
Registered
17,520 Posts
Hard to say for sure because it's not on the big cassette cog but the chain length looks ok to me. There's something wrong with that derailleur though, possibly not mounted correctly on the hanger. It shouldn't be that far forward under the cassette.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.