Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize as I'm sure this has been covered thousand times and I'm just using the wrong search terms.

I'm a new dad and have a lot less time for riding and I'm just giving myself a project for the sake of some sanity, but I'm also being budget conscious. That being said...

I've got a 2013 Salsa Mukluk which is currently 2x9 with a SRAM X7 rear derailleur. I live in flat place and I mostly ride a single speed, so the 24 chainring is just decorative.

I measured my BCD as 104 so it looks like I can pretty easily pick up a narrow wide 30 tooth chainring. I'm okay with the 11-34 tooth 9 speed cassette for the sake of saving some coin.

Would I also need a clutch derailleur and/or chain guide to keep the chain from dropping off?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
You could probably get away with leaving the front derailleur on there to act as a poor man's chain guide, just set the limit screws to center it over the chain ring. You would still be able to take off the shifter and cable. When I first went 1x (also with a 9 speed) that's all I did and it worked fine.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Although clutches do their job....they are over hyped.
People rode non clutch RDs forever.
Get you chain length right and you will be fine.
Well that's true, but I'd argue that NW rings and clutches have been as good as dropper posts. No more faffing with rollers, or bent plates. I've had all kinds of guides.
That said, from the OP's description I'm sure he'd be fine without one at this point. When it starts getting bumpy then maybe spring for a clutch.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, it looks like chain guide from OneUp is about $50 and about the same for a NW chainring. Assuming it works for my bike I can live with that. Not sure if the 100mm BB is going to be an issue for anything.

Aside from fixing flats and cleaning chains I haven't done much bike wrenching, so this will be a learning experience. Taking baby steps at first, got a new wheelset and some new tires plus a new handlebar on the way.

Luckily I've got another bike to ride when I inevitably order the wrong thing or install something wrong.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,327 Posts
Meh, don't worry about the chain guide. If you drop chains, you'll be better off with a clutch derailleur later on. but I think you'll be fine. I've read some reports that the n/w chainring makes a bigger difference than the clutch on the derailleur.

I've ridden thousands of rowdy miles with a clutch rd and a n/w chainring without dropping a chain once.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
15,203 Posts
Are there even 9sp clutch RDs available?

I rode many years on a 1x9 with just a bash guard and Ngear Jumpstop for chain retention on a 29er 80mm hardtail in pretty rough conditions and never lost a chain. This was before clutch RDs and NW rings.

So between the NW ring and any sort of guide, you will be more than fine without a clutch RD. As was suggested, you might even give it a try with just the NW ring first.

·
Registered
10,052 Posts
Clutch rd's are amazing! I tried and couldn't go one ride without tossing a chain on a xt 9 speed rear derailleur, with s good NW ring. It got extremely old. Nevermind the chain slap paint damage and annoying noise.

I believe you can shim a 11s derailleur to work on 9 speed.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are there even 9sp clutch RDs available?

I rode many years on a 1x9 with just a bash guard and Ngear Jumpstop for chain retention on a 29er 80mm hardtail in pretty rough conditions and never lost a chain. This was before clutch RDs and NW rings.

So between the NW ring and any sort of guide, you will be more than fine without a clutch RD. As was suggested, you might even give it a try with just the NW ring first.
That's a good question and I didn't even research that yet. None that I can find with a quick search, but it looks like you can frankenstein something together.

I guess I'll try the NW ring first, add chain guide if necessary and if that fails me I guess I could get all fancy and upgrade to a 10 speed down the road.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.