Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to build 29er wheels and my doubt is if I need 29er specific hubs or not ? I have Novatec D711 (front) & D712 (rear) hubs that I bought a short while ago. I want to use use they're light and use ball bearings.

What is the general opinion ?

·
nothing to see here
3,280 Posts
I only use 29er hubs on my wheels, and I always make sure that I use 29er air in the tyres as well. Things can get pretty ugly very quick if you don't do this.

·
Living the thug life.
795 Posts
They can matter, but not as much as making sure you mount 29er grips. The biggest difference with 29er hubs is that they use a different grease because of the increased leverage from the larger wheels.

Ok, I may be lying. All hubs work pretty.

·
Registered
58 Posts
from what I understand the Shimano 529 and 629 hubs had the freehub reworked so they could better handle the extra torque that a 36 tooth cassette cog puts on it.those by their model numbers seem to be marketed as a sort 29er specific hub but it's more the 12-36 cassette it's designed around.but really use whatever you want.if you've had freehub failures in the past there are probably way better choices than the shimano *29 hubs out there.

·
Superflying on Haven
638 Posts
only use 29er hubs on my wheels, and I always make sure that I use 29er air in the tyres as well. Things can get pretty ugly very quick if you don't do this
They can matter, but not as much as making sure you mount 29er grips. The biggest difference with 29er hubs is that they use a different grease because of the increased leverage from the larger wheels
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.