Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Do it for Deegan
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently run a 8 speed cassette/shifter that came on the bike and im going to be converting to 1x10 very soon. Do I need a new cable along with the 10 speed shifter/cassette?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Use the cable that will come with the new shifter. Get new housings and lubricate and install as recommended. Many internet sources will give you a 10 minute or less tutorial on how to do it properly and what you need. Don't bother buying a cutter but make sure you get end caps and a ferrule. It's really easy and cheap.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
It will likely come with cable but not necessarily housing. Might be worth just getting the housing though if it doesn't come with it. Especially if the old one has some mileage on it. If you are getting new drive train components spend the extra 10-20 bucks to just ensure you have the smoothest shifting you possibly can.

·
Do it for Deegan
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It will likely come with cable but not necessarily housing. Might be worth just getting the housing though if it doesn't come with it. Especially if the old one has some mileage on it. If you are getting new drive train components spend the extra 10-20 bucks to just ensure you have the smoothest shifting you possibly can.
BlueSkyCycling.com - Shimano SIS Derailleur Cable and Housing Kit will this work? idk if its compatible or if its supposed to be universal? my RD cable goes through a housing untill its under the frame and it goes all the way down the bottom of the frame without a housing then back into a small housing that passes by the chainstay.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
It's easy enough to swap out the cable so I would suggest you do it.

I would NOT apply lube to the cable or housing. No need to do so, plus it attracts dirt and grime which only serves to gum up smooth shifts.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
do a search for drilling out the stops and you'll see how to do it. You can also just use zip ties to secure it. I haven't switched to a full housing yet but many suggest it. I dont see any reason that kit wouldn't work. REI has a jagwire kit that I also see recommended frequently.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Since it is an 8 speed, I don't know how old it is. But if you go the full housing route, make sure the cable is located on the top tube and not under the bottom bracket.

John

1 - 14 of 14 Posts