Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started riding on a 2009 Trek fuel ex 5.5 as my first "real" Mountain bike and it is a 26" full suspension. Then I bought a 2010 redline D440 and have been riding the snot out of it because I like it so much. At first, I could not believe that I would prefer my rigid bike over a full suspension but not I put a fork on my 29er and ride it more. Every time I got to ride my 26" bike, I either go over the bars or wash out in corners. The big wheels have got me hooked but I dont know if I should keep my squishy bike now?:skep:

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
if you think you're not going to ride it much, then sell it- maybe start saving for a full suspension 29er. or you can keep the trek as your back-up/extra bike.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Keep it, in the long term you won't be sorry to have a 26er around,I could not even possibly think of a life without what a 26er has to offer,they really can compliment each other.

·
Registered
316 Posts
OP,

Your signature cracks me up, I love it, and may eventually be livin it. :thumbsup:

Ted

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
I dunno, man- I have a Spec Enduro just sitting & gathering dust, and it gets older and less advanced. I like the idea someone else had of selling it (your bike) & putting the $ towards a new bike. Just don't spend the $ on little crap, or it'll all be gone & you'll have nothing to show for it.

·
Trying not to kill myself
391 Posts
Once I went 29er, I never could enjoy a 26" bike again. Sell it and put the money into a 29er FS. :thumbsup:

·
Trail Junkie
2,210 Posts
I don't know that many people that have been absolutely pleased with the Trek Fuel 5.5s..I mean I guess there is some, but I just think the price point was the appeal.

To tell you the truth, its a full suspension (you know that) and if you just let it sit and sit, the seals will go bad on the fork and the shock. Not to mention other parts will start fading in performance as well. I say sell it, especially if you don't have that hunger to get out and ride it. Let it give someone else enthusiasm to get out on the trail and actually get some use out of it.

Getting a second 29er or a FS 29er wouldn't be a bad idea, but if you find all your pleasure in the bike you are riding now, maybe just push towards some upgrades or different parts to add versatility to the bike.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I was in the same boat. Had a FS Cannondale Jekyll and then bought a Redline Monocog 29er SS. Loved the 29er so much that I only rode the FS only once in the last year. After doing the rigid 29er thing, I just did not like the the FS or 26. Sold the FS last month and reinvested the cash in a new wheelset for the 29er.

·
3,707 Posts
After I got my first 29er SS, I sold my Spec FSR. But after a year, I did miss riding a FS and regretted selling the FSR. I'd hold on to it if I were you. I still have a 26 HT and enjoy riding that bike as well. And of course, my beater is a 93 Rockhopper which is a joy to ride.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I would consult your momma before you sell that thing, she is going to be pissed! Might be worth keeping around just to keep her happy.

Just know you aren't going to get much for that bike. If you do decide to sell it let me know and I'll put it on ebay for you so you get decent money for it. Then put that money towards wheels and maybe a Niner EMD frame then put the D440 back to stock and have a pair or 29ers.

On a side note I really think you should keep the trek and sell the D440 I liked it a lot better when you rode that I didn't have near as hard a time keeping up with you.

·
Super Moderator
4,679 Posts
Sell it. It took 8ish months of my 575 gathering dust before I finally admitted that it was no longer a bike I wanted to ride.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Now that I think of it, I might as well keep the bike around because I do a lot of riding/racing. I need a good backup bike just in case and I actually do prefer my 26" at one of the trails I ride at. I need to keep it and enjoy it a while so i can get my money out of it becasue like mr. Cabletwitch said, I won't get that much for it if I sell it.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
In all honesty a 29er is just not compatible over all in most conditions to a 26er and I have owned several high end FS 29ers and still have a custom Quiring Ti which I use mostly for urban.a 29er does definitely not have the acceleration,high speed turning (dreaded gyro effect),quick switch turning single track heaven with extreme terrain,sure it's stable and rolls over stuff easier...bla bla bla....for those who lack skills it's still just a placebo! if you like mostly CC groomed trail riding then it has a niche,other then that 26er is and will always be the ultimate wheel size for diverse terrain.26er keep for main ride 29er for shits and giggles social ride!

·
Registered
7,841 Posts
When I first got a 29er, even though I loved it, I was determined not to be One Of Those Guys. So I kept my 26er (beautiful 5-Spot), 3 months, and rode it a fair bit during that time. After that, I concluded that the New Bike Buzz was no longer a factor in my love for the 29er, so I sold the 26er and never regretted it.

I suspect you're done with the Trek, but don't pull the trigger until you're sure the New Bike Buzz on your 29er is no longer a factor! Then start filling the fund for a 4" FS 29er. A HT 29er and a short travel 29er is not a bad way to go through life, at all!

·
Trail Junkie
2,210 Posts
I am not sure I completely agree with that. I just went from basically top of the line Blur XC Carbon to a Tallboy. I do agree on the acceleration, it is slower, but maintaining speed through corners (except for very tight hairpin 180s) is just as easy, but approached differently. A 29er requires more body english in turns, but less on climbs or technical sections. You have to lean in and commit to the lean into the corner to maintain speed. On climbs and technical sections, you don't work the bike like its a BMX race machine because it glides across stuff easier.

For me, and the bike comparison....the Blur XC Carbon was easier to ride "Fast" but there was a cost when things got very technical. The Tallboy just seemed more poised and unflustered as things got technical.

I really love riding both of those bikes, and they are both unique and ride with a very high quality but differently. 29ers aren't everyone's cup of tea, the same goes with mountain biking in general, the truth is none of us can tell you what you should do because it is your stuff. We can only speculate based on our own personal experiences.

My perception is...and this is completely subjective...
If you race, you probably should have 3 bikes (mtn race, mtn training, road) and a trainer for inclimate weather or times when you just want to jump on the saddle and spin for a half hour. Plan on investing some money, all this will needed before you even see a small bit of sponsorship unless you just have superior natural talent and fitness. MTN Race ($3000-$7000), MTN Training ($2500-$3500), Road ($1200-$3500). Obviously these numbers can be off, but you are going to be spending quite a lot of time in the saddle, good bikes will lower the number of bad experiences or times you just are not riding good substantially.

If you trail rager (someone who doesn't race but rides like he does): You need to invest quite a lot of money and get a great, durable, fast bike. ($3000-$5000)

If you are the average trail rider: You only need a bike that serves your type of riding, but can handle the occasional outside of norm experience. ($1300-$2500)

If you are a pure recreational rider that just wants to get out and ride once a month or once a week for fitness: ($700-$1500)

If you are the pure recreational rider: Rides 3-5 times a year that probably shouldn't be peering onto the intensity that happens in this forum since its not going to serve him any purpose. ($50-$450)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts