Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just converted my AM classic wheels to tubeless using Stan's tubeless system.When i aired them up without using Stan's sealant to check if they would seal OK they did without any problems.I put some sealant in anyway just to be safe.My question is do i have to use the sealant i'm using Hutchinson UST spider tyres.I have no thorns where i ride and previously using panaracer fire xc pro i have got one pinch flat in 2 years and that was because i let the pressure get down to low.it is hot here now avg about 84 deg and tomorrow will be 100 deg i am told at high temps i have to put in stan's sealant more often about once a month.Can i get by without using the sealant?

·
NoTubes.com
600 Posts
technically not needed but I think most people would recommend some sealant for puncture protection. I am biased though so don't take my word for it.

·
NoTubes.com
600 Posts
bigdamo said:
Thanks for the reply Mike B.OK how often should i replace the Stans sealant in hot humid weather.Would it be once a month? Thanks.
Yeah, once a month is probably about right. All you have to do is open one bead and take a look inside. You can then add sealant as required, close the bead, and re-inflate. It really only amounts to a 2-3 minute job in most cases.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Mike B. said:
technically not needed but I think most people would recommend some sealant for puncture protection. I am biased though so don't take my word for it.
I agree (for what that's worth). If rim strip fits right and you use UST tires (with no holes in them), you shouldn't need sealant. I personally run sealant with my Stan's converted rims and Panaracer XC Fire UST tires just for the extra puncture protection.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.