Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago I built up a SS Monkey with Surly hubs. Before that I had a 1FG with a "cassette hub" and a cog. Now I am using ACS freewheels and they are beginning to creak and groan when they turn forward with the chain and wheel (on the stand and when climbing). I traced the problem to the freewheel mechanism itself and seached this forum and found at least one other with this issue. The suggestion was to clean it out with wd-40 or some other degreaser and then submerge it in synthetic oil and spin it to work the oil in.

I did this procedure and it only muffled the problem a bit.

I get this same efect (to a lesser degree) with an ENO freewheel.

Is this something I am going to have to live with unless I get a cassette type rear hub?

The noise just seems to resonate through the wheel and the rest of frame.

I loved the quiet-ness of SS. Now I am tolerating all this noise thinking I am going to have to have a new wheel built up.

Any advice?

Mike

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
My ENO FWs are knock/creak/groan free. The one I use most is 2 years old.

Every ACS I have used has developed the knock. If I soak it in synthetic motor oil before I use it it can take a month or more. If I don't it takes 2-3 rides and soaking does little to stop it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It seems to me to come from the freewheel mechanism rather than the bearings. Thus the ENO with sealed bearings is just as susceptable.

I think I will try the disassembly procedure and then investigate a new wheelset. I hate to be high maint. but I really like being able to sneak up on people. :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
riderx said:
??????????
OK.. I will be more precise.

The bearing is sealed but the freewheel appears to be open to gunk just like the ACS. I have checked and played with the chain tension I can make the noise occur with with my hand on the sproket and the wheel off the bike.

·
Steel and teeth.
577 Posts
SoloWithOthers said:
The bearing is sealed but the freewheel appears to be open to gunk just like the ACS.
The ratchet and pawls are hidden behind the innermost (spoke side) SEAL on the ENO and are not susceptible to the same gunk infiltration as the ACS.

No klunk, knock, squeak, or jimmy after X,XXX miles.

b1umb0y

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
b1umb0y said:
The ratchet and pawls are hidden behind the innermost (spoke side) SEAL on the ENO and are not susceptible to the same gunk infiltration as the ACS.

No klunk, knock, squeak, or jimmy after X,XXX miles.

b1umb0y
If that's that case... then obviously I have more investigation to do. I just took a look at building a nice set of disc King/degatos and they want $750 for the build at Speedgoat. My Surly/Delgatos have been rock solid so if I can solve this issue with the freewheels I will be mucho happy with a less expensive route to quietness.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
wait...

SoloWithOthers said:
It seems to me to come from the freewheel mechanism rather than the bearings. Thus the ENO with sealed bearings is just as susceptable.

I think I will try the disassembly procedure and then investigate a new wheelset. I hate to be high maint. but I really like being able to sneak up on people. :)
How old is your ENO? why dissasemble it? In time it will be as smooth as buttah. The ENO freewheel is good the way it is.

·
Steel and teeth.
577 Posts
SoloWithOthers said:
If that's that case... then obviously I have more investigation to do. I just took a look at building a nice set of disc King/degatos and they want $750 for the build at Speedgoat. My Surly/Delgatos have been rock solid so if I can solve this issue with the freewheels I will be mucho happy with a less expensive route to quietness.
I'll try to post some images of a dissected ENO later today. :) I don't think you can go wrong with ONE. ;)

b1umb0y

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
b1umb0y said:
I'll try to post some images of a dissected ENO later today. :) I don't think you can go wrong with ONE. ;)

b1umb0y
Thanks for the help. I will do some more investigation before trying to take apart the 19t eno that has less than 200 miles on it.

The 18t ACS is the one that is the worst. I used the 19t ENO for the Ouachita Challenge and had to listen to a bunch of groaning (that could have been the other riders on Suck Mountain through).

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
while you coasted?

SoloWithOthers said:
Thanks for the help. I will do some more investigation before trying to take apart the 19t eno that has less than 200 miles on it.

The 18t ACS is the one that is the worst. I used the 19t ENO for the Ouachita Challenge and had to listen to a bunch of groaning (that could have been the other riders on Suck Mountain through).
And you heard this groaning while you coasted? As in sand in the ENO? hmmm...

·
I am the owl
1,908 Posts
SoloWithOthers said:
OK.. I will be more precise.

The bearing is sealed but the freewheel appears to be open to gunk just like the ACS. I have checked and played with the chain tension I can make the noise occur with with my hand on the sproket and the wheel off the bike.
What Blumboy said.

Freewheels make noise, it's their nature. It won't be silent like a roller bearing, but an ENO will be quiter than others.

·
Steel and teeth.
577 Posts
SoloWithOthers said:
I can make the noise occur with with my hand on the sproket and the wheel off the bike.
With the ENO?

i.e. With the ENO on the wheel (off the bike), rotating the cog by hand produces a grinding noise (I assume this is in addition to/different than the standard ratchet noise)? Just turning it?

That is strange. Did something get wrapped around the hub (behind the f/w)?

b1umb0y

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.