Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if I'm getting lazy, needing more adrenaline, or weak in the legs, but I've been dreading climbs so far this year. I used to get in a low gear, raise my seat, put on good music and make it an enjoybable thing.

I have a fox float in the rear suspension, and have been pumping it to 275 psi at the bottom of the mountain, and 150 psi for when I'm riding more technical decents. Needless to say, I still dread climbs this year. Does anyone else do this? Does it really help you at all?

·
On wuss patrol
5,049 Posts
What?

Are you saying you pump your rear shock up to 275psi before climbing, essentially turning it into a hard tail, and air it down to 150psi for descents? And you don't like climbing?

If so, 2 things: 1. Get in better shape for climbing and 2. Use the platform feature of your shock to lock it out or at least limit the travel of the shock. If it only has rebound, slow the rebound enough so that it slows the rear suspension bob you're feeling when you climb.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Yeah, at 275 PSI, you might as well ride a hardtail and duct tape a rear shock under the seat to add weight. If you are climbing in technical terrain, the rear suspension is your friend. I rely on my rear suspension climbing as much as I do descending. If you are climbing on buff trails, the "platform" is there to help if the suspension design really needs it.

·
Registered
607 Posts
As MSU Alum said, suspension is your friend on climbs. Pumping your rear shock to the max to stiffen it is going to make you less efficient. Theres a reason no one does that. You have a full suspension bike, use your rear suspension. Just turn on your shocks platform for climbs an tough it out.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
How do you achieve any sort of flow when you are riding if you are forever getting on and off your bike to inflate and deflate the shock?

If you only have a basic Float or Float R, then get a shock with a platform setting (Float CTD, Monarch RT3 etc) and use that.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll have you know where I ride at my house is 7 miles of decent for about 1600 feet, then I go back up when I'm done. So I'm not ALWAYS getting off to change it as it's only a once every 7 miles. I unfortunately only have the Fox Float R which has rebound and that's all, but I never thought about that, seems more reasonable than my approach. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Heck, even a nice, used RP23 if possible, with the ProPedal. So nice to be able to lock out the shock (and still have suspension in case you need it for a hit)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts