Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Grrr...

So I replaced the front pad on my Helmet 2mos ago... (I think I still have a spare if I can find it...)

and this is how the pad looks again today...

helmet is a Giant Rail SX .. I got it because I can get Giant gear at a very attractive price.. for various reasons...

I am riding 3~ times a week.. not sure if this is just how the pads are of if there is something about the pads with this helmet..but it is irritating...

Attachments

·
Hi There!
1,664 Posts
I've a Bell Super 2 that's years old, that never happened. Older Fox Flux yes, after about 2 years. Ride every weekend.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Sometimes less is more. I wear the IXS trail RS, the pad system is smaller but has always stayed in place and shows little wear. No issues four years in. Though I did have to replace the ratchet system this season for $8 so nothing’s perfect. Luckily you should be able to buy replacement pads on the cheap.

·
Registered
320 Posts
How do you clean the pads? If you're wringing them, it's likely that that's deteriorating them quickly.

I give them a quick rinse in the shower, and press them softly between a towel a few times, then let them air dry. It's worked really well for me since I started doing that.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sometimes less is more. I wear the IXS trail RS, the pad system is smaller but has always stayed in place and shows little wear. No issues four years in. Though I did have to replace the ratchet system this season for $8 so nothing’s perfect. Luckily you should be able to buy replacement pads on the cheap.
interesting.. that is a fairly inexpensive helmet from a quick google search... I didn't pay anywhere near it but giant wants $160 for my helmet.. and the pads have gone like this after two months twice now.... hmmmm

I have been rinsing the pads then air drying not wringing them out ever.. they just fall apart...

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Is the helmet pretty tight? I'm wondering if its either a bit tight, or you're maybe pulling it on a bit differently than most that is accelerating the wear?

I've had pads wear out, but never fall apart like that. And even when the pads wear out, its been after years of use. Its typically the velcro that holds them on that fails for mine.

How often are you washing those pads? I'll admit, I don't often wash mine, and if I do, its usually after I notice them not being as soft, showing visible salt buildup, or smelling. So perhaps I'm not modeling the best behavior...

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Some pads just suck, like the ones on my Giro Montaro. I've had to purchase multiple set of pads since the original ones lasted a month and the replacement pads didn't fare much better. In contrast, the pads on my Smith helmet are about 3 years old now and although a bit worn they haven't delaminated.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
5,617 Posts
yeah some pads just suck. those were not welded up properly on the edges

my pads last
what I do is always use the hottest tap water and kitchen sink sprayer and hit the pads and straps for about 2 minutes, air dry under a fan...

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have had the same issues. The best has been on my high end Cannondale helmet which has lasted a bit over a year. I gently wash my helmet after every ride and use clippers on what hair I have left. The issue is really only ever on the front pad. I believe I’m going to try the sweat buster to see how that does.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts