Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bit of a silly question to ask. Yesterday, I took a ride on 2004 XTC2 and took quite a strong liking to it. It was a 17" ride, and I took to the bike with some caution since I'm about 5'4". I've sort of conditioned myself to believe that I'm better suited to small bikes around 15" size. I came to this conclusion because I ride a too-small-for-me 13" Fisher.

So while it felt pretty good, I'm also concerned that this bike may be too big for me. Problem is, the shop didn't have any smaller sizes of the XTC2, and as you can imagine, they're eager to clear out the 2004 stock.

I rode the bike alongside a 17.5" Trek Fuel 80. That bike seemed unreasonably large for me. Uncomfortable, even. Everything seemed too far stretched out, from the top tube to the width of the handlebars.

And that's why I ask if Giants tend to run marginally smaller than other brands. Am I getting too hung up on a number here? Or am I looking at a bike that truly is too large for me?

·
bang
1,290 Posts
how much standover clearance to you have? if the top tube hits yer nads, then the bike is too big lol. if youve got at least a couple inches it should be good, and you can always tweak the reach to the bars with a shorter stem if that bike is on the larger side.

·
Niner EMD
100 Posts
Giant frames seem to run small. I usually ride 17" frames (my Trek was 16.5") and they are comfortable. I was unsure about the 18.5" NRS I now ride at first. But after riding it, found it was perfect. In fact, after comparing the frame sizes of my NRS and Trek 16.5" frame I realized they are remarkably similar in TT length and stand over. The NRS TT and ST junction is lower than 18.5" on that size frame because the junction point is below the top of the ST by about 1.5 inches...making it more like a 17" frame feel. The wheelbase of the frames is where they differ. The NRS is longer from axle to axle but the cockpit seems smaller than an 18.5" frame.
In short...yes the NRS runs small...as for the other frames Im not sure.

·
Registered
287 Posts
They tend to measure the seat tubes from center of BB to top of seat tube, as opposed to the top tube seat tube intersection, which will make any given size number higher. Measure the top tube of current bike if that fits you well and compare. My 19" XTC fits pretty well, but at first I thought there was no way I need a 19" frame.

·
Registered
21 Posts
SpinWheelz said:
Thanks, all - your insight does put me at ease a little bit about daring to take on a 17" frame.
Hi,
Did you decide to go with the 17" XTC? How do you like it now?

I'm the same height as you are, and I'm also considering an XTC and wondering about the size. I had a 14" Yukon a couple of years ago and felt it was too small.

·
Registered
1 Posts
xtc 3 19"

CJLED said:
They tend to measure the seat tubes from center of BB to top of seat tube, as opposed to the top tube seat tube intersection, which will make any given size number higher. Measure the top tube of current bike if that fits you well and compare. My 19" XTC fits pretty well, but at first I thought there was no way I need a 19" frame.
Hi, how tall are you, and what's your inseam lenght? im considering a XTC 3 19" - Cheers mate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.