Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Dirt is Fun
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They look fun, seen videos of bad ass riders shredding them, have seen some cruising along local trails. For the experienced fat bikers out there, do they shred single track and take drops like a skinny tire mountain bike?

·
Nemophilist
1,876 Posts
Well...

I'm not sure about drops, but I am starting to feel like I can ride my Fatty harder than my Niner in most cases. Climbing, not so much, but I always hate that.

·
aka bOb
8,813 Posts
Back when I was a strong rider I could kill it on a fatty, now not so much. I hope to change that someday and to once again leave the skinny bike all lonely parked in the garage. Short answer yes:thumbsup:

·
Registered
586 Posts
Yes. I'm a light guy, but on pedally stuff and climbs I can keep up with the fastest in my group, on some descents I'll get dropped. I take drops of 2' or so, but that's all I'll take on any bike.

"You're like a Ferrari engine driving a dump truck"

·
Registered
711 Posts
It's difficult to get used to how hard you can corner on the fat bike. Traction is amazing. It is definitely fun to smoke your buddies on their traditional bikes! :) That said, I am still faster on a given loop with my FS 29er.

·
Registered
14,401 Posts
For the experienced fat bikers out there, do they shred single track and take drops like a skinny tire mountain bike?
No. They shred single track and take drops like a rigid fat tire mountain bike.

If you would have fun riding a rigid skinny MTB on your trails you'll have fun riding a fatbike on your trails.

You'll also be able to explore places your skinny MTB would struggle with and ride in the winter if you get snow in your neck of the woods.

Ideally get a test ride on your local trails so you can see for yourself what is what.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
If you would have fun riding a rigid skinny MTB on your trails you'll have fun riding a fatbike on your trails.
Rigid skinny MTB's are only fun for masochists. I take mine out once in a while to remind myself why suspension was invented.

·
Registered
14,401 Posts
Rigid skinny MTB's are only fun for masochists. I take mine out once in a while to remind myself why suspension was invented.
I would agree. My point to the OP was if you aren't keen on shredding your local trails on a rigid MTB don't assume you'll enjoy doing it on a rigid fatbike - just because a world class rider did it in a video.

·
Dirt is Fun
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would agree. My point to the OP was if you aren't keen on shredding your local trails on a rigid MTB don't assume you'll enjoy doing it on a rigid fatbike - just because a world class rider did it in a video.
That is a good point. I have a fat frame to build, was thinking if it is going to be a fun shredder, I would sell my current whip (hardtail with big fork up front) and just go FAT.

·
Registered
14,401 Posts
That is a good point. I have a fat frame to build, was thinking if it is going to be a fun shredder, I would sell my current whip (hardtail with big fork up front) and just go FAT.
Build up the fatty and see what happens. If you are happy trailing riding on it then sell the other bike. If not keep both.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I've been splitting my time riding single track with fat bike and my rigid 29er.

I'm faster on the 29er on both the ups and downs and it's toss up which gives a more comfortable ride. The rigid 29er with 2.4 tires is so much more nimble I can steer around hits rather than tank over everything. It's also 14 pounds lighter, so it's much less work to speed up after slowing down for an obstacle. I'm definitely more "worked" after riding the fat bike on the same trail.

The fat bike ride is really fun in it's own ways. I especially enjoy cornering fast and being able to completely relax through messy loose gravel sections.

if you want to "shred" single track, it's probably not the best tool for the job. If you are looking for a fun ride and big grins, fat bikes are great.

·
Hooligan
994 Posts
Build up the fatty and see what happens. If you are happy trailing riding on it then sell the other bike. If not keep both.
if you can afford it, this is great advice. a fattie is a great addition to most stables. and if you build it up and don't like it you can always sell it to a poor bloke like me :thumbsup:

·
Registered
711 Posts
if you want to "shred" single track, it's probably not the best tool for the job. If you are looking for a fun ride and big grins, fat bikes are great.
This! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Any bike will have +/- over another bike ... all I know is when I pull up with my 4.8s on hunjos and get the smirky "wrong bike" or "so are those tires slower" comments, I just smile and reply "speed got more to do with the rider than the bike." With a fattie, you gotta CRUSH everything you ride. Plain and simple as that. Don't compare your fattie to your hardtail, compare your fat bike to THEIR hardtail! I huck the fattie harder than my other bikes cause I'm DRIVEN on my fat.

Besides this, know that a fat bike ridden on the edge is like nothing else. When I'm flicking my hard tail around imagining how rad that last tire drag musta looked, I'm just another rider out there. When I'm airing the big rubber out though, I get nods and "daaaaang"s confirming how gnarly I'm riding. That is the fat bike advantage.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts