Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of getting a new bike, a Stumpjumper Pro or Expert, with the Pro having lots of new XT stuff on it.
Just curious if the dual-control levers hold up to crashes OK. My rapid-fires so far have been fine but I leave my brake levers and shifters a little loose on the bars in hopes that they'll move instead of bending. Even still, I bent a lever pretty good once.

Thanks.
Lou.

·
Registered
4 Posts
upstateSC-rider said:
Thinking of getting a new bike, a Stumpjumper Pro or Expert, with the Pro having lots of new XT stuff on it.
Just curious if the dual-control levers hold up to crashes OK. My rapid-fires so far have been fine but I leave my brake levers and shifters a little loose on the bars in hopes that they'll move instead of bending. Even still, I bent a lever pretty good once.

Thanks.
Lou.
i've been riding the new dual control levers for a year now. i would not recommend them at all. the shifting is not as crisp, and durability is questionable. when my bike simply fell over, it stripped the screw holding the shifter cover on. after this, and numerous other bad experiences with the new m960 stuff, i now vow to stay away from shimano. hope this helps you, good luck.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I have had my XT dual control lever for about 6 months or so now and they work as good as the day I put them on. I have crashed a number of times and have not had a single problem with either lever. I think that fact that the levers not only move in and out but now also up and done they are harder to damage.

As for performance I can not go back to another way of shifting now as I love shifting using the brake levers since I now can keep my thumbs around the bar and just a flick of one finger can change the gears. It takes a few rides to get use to but was so worth it to me.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2 For and 1 Against.
Guess that makes it official. :)
Makes sense that since the shifters move in other directions they can better handle crashes.

Thanks all.
Lou.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
If you get the Shimano dual control levers remember not to leave the clamps loose like with rapidfires because otherwise the levers will slip around the bars as you change gear. Especially the front mech shifter as it can take quite a bit of force pushing down to shift onto the big ring.

Very off putting when it happens.:)

Apart from that I quite like them though.:)

·
Registered
571 Posts
Nay for me.

But, my finger are prone to discomfort when riding and the Dual Control levers made the discomfort come around sooner than with Rapid Fire.

But I know ride SRAM or old school thumbies and no discomfort. So it's relative to my hands. Just thought I bring this up in case there is someone else out there who has the same problem I have.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Positive on the Dual Control levers.

3 months, 500 miles, too many crashes as I changed from HT to duallie, V-brakes to Discs, rapid fire to Dual control, and to a more challenging terrain.
Very crisp and positive. I get to integrate shfting and braking more quickly with Dual Control. I've ridden my old Race Light with the rapid fire and it relies too much on precision positioning of thumb and index finger; something I didn't realize and something grip shift users may appreciate.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Murchman said:
I have had my XT dual control lever for about 6 months or so now and they work as good as the day I put them on. I have crashed a number of times and have not had a single problem with either lever. I think that fact that the levers not only move in and out but now also up and done they are harder to damage.

As for performance I can not go back to another way of shifting now as I love shifting using the brake levers since I now can keep my thumbs around the bar and just a flick of one finger can change the gears. It takes a few rides to get use to but was so worth it to me.
This reflects my experience exactly. I don't know if they shifter any better (smoother or faster) than rapid fire shifters, but they just feel better to me. Now when I get on my brother's bike I have to think about using RF and still find myself trying to shift with the levers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts