Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard it said that carbon bars keep your hands warmer since the material does not conduct heat as efficiently as metal. It seems like this might be more of an issue on the road (higher speeds, thinner grips, changing hand positions, etc), so I was wondering if anyone had actually put this theory to test on a MTB?

29"er Content Disclaimer: When it's cold, I ride my rigid 29"er exclusively, since a) frozen suspension is pretty useless, but the 29"er's added vertical compliance remains the same, and b) 29" wheels rock in the snow. Plus, a lot of hardcore riders congregate on this board.

·
Registered
18,558 Posts
miles e said:
I've heard it said that carbon bars keep your hands warmer since the material does not conduct heat as efficiently as metal. It seems like this might be more of an issue on the road (higher speeds, thinner grips, changing hand positions, etc), so I was wondering if anyone had actually put this theory to test on a MTB?

29"er Content Disclaimer: When it's cold, I ride my rigid 29"er exclusively, since a) frozen suspension is pretty useless, but the 29"er's added vertical compliance remains the same, and b) 29" wheels rock in the snow. Plus, a lot of hardcore riders congregate on this board.
Bahhhh.

·
This place needs an enema
16,916 Posts
If you were putting your hands directly on the carbon, YES, it would be much less cold and would pull heat away less quickly than any metal bar. This is the exact reason that I always use carbon brake levers on my winter-use mtb's and always on my snowbike.

But any sort of grip material between your hands and the bar will cancel this out completely. I've tested all the major grips and tape for 'temperature sensitivity' and I invariably end up using cork tape or cheap Grab-On foam grips in winter. Way, way "warmer" than any rubber grip. Test it yourself to be sure.

Good luck.

MC

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Agree with mikesee

I commute all year long and use Midge bars which I have wrapped in Bontrager Gel tape. They are definitely warmer than the old Oury grips were last year on the Ti bar. I can also see where the Grab On foam grips would be excellent in that regard. Lots of "dead air" spaces to insulate you from the bar.

·
no fat chicks
774 Posts
miles e said:

yes
in fact you can ride in sub zero temps with no grips and no gloves and the carbon will keep your hands warm
go ahead try it
it works i swear
i have been riding for 22 years and it works every time
its even better if the bars if the bars are real curvy with lots of sweep
the heat concentrates at the bends

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've noticed my carbon bars are 7 degrees warmer with end plugs installed...due to the air inside is constantly being recirculated. I get the best effect from oversize bars because of the natural draft effect from the extreme taper from wide to thin diameters...just like a nozzle. I know so much about it because I wrote an engineering thesis on the topic.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
miles e said:
.........Irrelevant.

Decent grips and gloves make it irrelevant.

R.

·
Registered
18,558 Posts
OrBikbldr said:
I have a carbon bar with a heating element that I am patenting. To power it you just put a AA battery in each end of the bar. Freaking sweet! I AM GOING TO MAKE MILLIONS!!!

or not :D
If you can apply it to my car steering wheel, then I'll buy one. Man that thing gets cold over night.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.