Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there were many options available a few years ago. Did they get in the way? Were they fairly comfortable? What is your favored brand? Where is the best place to buy them?

To have a comfortable waist I have to buy size large or medium shorts and "pedal pushers" so the padding is a bit on the large side. I like to cover my hiney up with a light pair of shorts. In the case of the knicker length tights I thought a skirt might look good.

Thanks!

·
Rides with Scissors
619 Posts
Kriz said:
I know there were many options available a few years ago. Did they get in the way? Were they fairly comfortable? What is your favored brand? Where is the best place to buy them?
In order...

No, though I prefer the 'racer' length to the 'commuter' length.
Yes.
Terry.
http://www.terrybicycles.com is where I get mine--sometimes they're even on sale! :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the Louis Garneau skirt. It comes with a pair of shorts underneath, but they aren't attached. The chamois in the shorts it comes with isn't the greatest, just OK. It doesn't get in the way, but I use it more for commuting than trail riding.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I have two Terry skorts, commuter length (I'm tall). They're comfy, but I get annoyed when they flap in the breeze. Not my 1st choice for mtb'ing. Consider wearing a supple board short (like Sideout) as a shell over quality lycra shorts. Board shorts aren't expensive, you'll feel "covered", and you'll have that extra layer of protection.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have a couple Terry skorts, racer length. I changed the skirt side-connection a little to fit me better. Best if you can try some before buying, to make sure the sizing's right.

Mine have a good-quality short/chamois, so they're comfortable for longer rides. I don't wear them mtn biking though - they are a bit more to manage, with the flap. I wear them on longer road rides if I plan to stop for lunch, etc.

I haven't found a pair of baggy shorts with liner/chamois that fit me very well, though those seem to have become the type of shorts many mtb'ers wear and I'd love to find some of those that fit, and try them sometime.

·
I just wanna ride my bike
845 Posts
No. Admittedly, I've never tried them. It seems to me they would get caught on the bike seat on descents when one's butt must be moved back; however, I do wear baggy shorts on a regular basis :) .

·
black & blue
235 Posts
Sugoi makes a really good, comfortable chamois made with Coolmax-type fabric. They can turn any of your favorite shorts/skirt into bike-friendly favorites. You can find them at Team Estrogen.

·
Rides with Scissors
619 Posts
TheotherH said:
No. Admittedly, I've never tried them. It seems to me they would get caught on the bike seat on descents when one's butt must be moved back; however, I do wear baggy shorts on a regular basis :) .
The material on the Terry's I've got is pretty slick (for lack of better description), so it just slides off...

I've gotten baggies caught way too many times to count. No fun dropping off the back of the saddle, then to move back into pedal-position and the waistband gets hooked... :eek: I'm just not in to flashing the guys. :rolleyes: :p

·
Rides with Scissors
619 Posts
connie said:
Same answers here, though I bought mine on sale at local bike shops.
I've found Terry Skorts in a LBS one time, only in XL. I'm a medium at best... Most shops around here just sell the basic black lycra type shorts, and some baggies for the guys. Not much in the way of women's gear.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
deanna said:
The material on the Terry's I've got is pretty slick (for lack of better description), so it just slides off...

I've gotten baggies caught way too many times to count. No fun dropping off the back of the saddle, then to move back into pedal-position and the waistband gets hooked... :eek: I'm just not in to flashing the guys. :rolleyes: :p
Whoa. I've never gotten them hooked that way (though I don't own any elastic waistband type baggies, which might be more likely to do that??) The problem for me is more with lycra that isn't perfectly smooth where the chamois is stitched in or baggies made of stretchy materials, where the material around the crotch gets snagged on the saddle and jerks me back like a rubber band.

I've never had a problem with a riding skirt getting stuck on my saddle though - and I've even race DH in them before (with crash pads underneath). Not the most durable option, so I use moto shorts for DH these days, but my point is just that you can definitely get behind the saddle without getting stuck in a riding skirt.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
that's good information. Just what I want to know. I've had my shorts leg get caught on my saddle after getting back. They're shorter than most would consider long baggies. I've learned to plan for it!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's hard to find small shops with a good selection of women's gear. It's hit and miss. Sometimes I'm surprised by our local selection and availability of what I'm looking for. That's a good feeling!

·
Rides with Scissors
619 Posts
connie said:
Whoa. I've never gotten them hooked that way (though I don't own any elastic waistband type baggies, which might be more likely to do that??) The problem for me is more with lycra that isn't perfectly smooth where the chamois is stitched in or baggies made of stretchy materials, where the material around the crotch gets snagged on the saddle and jerks me back like a rubber band.
The kind I have are the elastic waistband. I've had them for years... older Fox brand shorts. I bought them for when I could bike commute or for urban playtime. I'll wear them off-road on occasion, but not often after that revealing episode!

I like some of the newer ones I've seen with a different type of waist, just can't justify spending the $$ on something I can't try on first (they'd have to be ordered).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.