Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been lurking here for a while and am looking for an LED setup, seems there is more innovation going on here than with any of the manufacturers i have been able to find. My dream light(s) would be bright enough to ride trails, i don;'t need a ton of light, have the ability to replace/ recharge while out touring self supported style, therefor use AA style batteries and be light and simple. I have seen some way cool lights here and want to know are any of you selling? I would dwelve into trying to build one myself but honestly i know that i have not the patience nor the skill? Would love any ideas. Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
I keep my light building as a hobby, but there are other folks who will build something for hire. CPF (candlepowerforums.com) has a section for "homemade and modified" lights, and some of the builders there might be able to help you if you don't find a willing person here.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'm certainly considering the idea. However given I am on a sponsored adventure racing team, and my lights will be very useful for that, I'll be building up lights for them (at cost + a very small amount) for a while first - though by that stage it may have got it sorted enough that making more for resale will be easy.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Most of us here do it for fun and personal satisfaction, knowing our lights are ahead of what is currently being manufactured (but maybe not packaged as well).

I've had several people email me asking to either build them a complete light or make the light body for them. I've had to turn them down because I just don't have the time or the means to mass produce enough lights to make the light affordable... probably the same situation for most custom light builders here. There might be exceptions, but if you want a quality, custom-built light, be prepared to pay more than the manufactured ones. I always, say "look, I could build you a nice LED light, but really you'd be better off going out and buying a L&M HID system," because it'd be cheaper than what I would have to ask even if was paying myself minimum wage (at least what I consider my minimum wage :)) to construct it!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
achesalot said:
Most of us here do it for fun and personal satisfaction, knowing our lights are ahead of what is currently being manufactured (but maybe not packaged as well).

I've had several people email me asking to either build them a complete light or make the light body for them. I've had to turn them down because I just don't have the time or the means to mass produce enough lights to make the light affordable... probably the same situation for most custom light builders here. There might be exceptions, but if you want a quality, custom-built light, be prepared to pay more than the manufactured ones. I always, say "look, I could build you a nice LED light, but really you'd be better off going out and buying a L&M HID system," because it'd be cheaper than what I would have to ask even if was paying myself minimum wage (at least what I consider my minimum wage :)) to construct it!
:thumbsup:

I have had a blast building my light using a hacksaw, a file, and some sandpaper. It has taken me much longer than I expected but it has been so much fun.

I didn't want to build just a handlebar mounted light. I wanted a multipurpose design that could be attached to my helmet, used as a regular headlamp, and even mount on a tripod. The helmet mount is finished and came out much better than I thought. I will be finishing up the headlamp mount soon.

I am seriously considering building a few sets of lights over the summer and then selling them when winter rolls around. Items like a heavy duty bandsaw and a drill press would make things so much easier.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for throwing in your .02$

Thanks for all the responses so far and i realize that it isn't easy to sell out of your basement or garage, i used to sew alot and never made a dime, (i was also younger and dumber) So i do understand, but i still am interested if any one out there is willing i have seen some awesome stuff here that makes me doubt the mass made ****. Another idea is anyone want to do some mods? I could see that being a bit easier. Anyways thanks for keeping the horizon expanding. Jefe

·
Registered
50 Posts
Not to dash anyones sale here:D , but if you're really up for a DIY light, it would be easy to put together one relatively inexpensively with the aid of a local machinist or metal shop. If you were to follow "achesalot"'s guide you could take all of those measurements and have all of the tubing you would need precut. With a small amount of drilling, filing, soldering, and gluing you'd have your very own light without too much fuss.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Error , can't cancel a response.

wookieone said:
Thanks for all the responses so far and i realize that it isn't easy to sell out of your basement or garage, i used to sew alot and never made a dime, (i was also younger and dumber) So i do understand, but i still am interested if any one out there is willing i have seen some awesome stuff here that makes me doubt the mass made ****. Another idea is anyone want to do some mods? I could see that being a bit easier. Anyways thanks for keeping the horizon expanding. Jefe
Sorry about this response. This is in error.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Lumbee1 said:
:thumbsup:
I am seriously considering building a few sets of lights over the summer and then selling them when winter rolls around. Items like a heavy duty bandsaw and a drill press would make things so much easier.
Ahhhh.... if only it were that easy. I thought "If only I had a better bandsaw" would solve all my problems a few years and many projects ago. Seeing the $450 special Ridgid 14" bandsaw at my local home depot for $50 off was too much temptation. Now I knew the 3000 fpm blade speed was wood only, I figured a few pulleys wouldn't cost much.

A month later, when I had taken a 4" makita grinder with a cutoff wheel to the base, to bottom mount the damn motor and make it WORK, and put casters on it, repainted the metal I cut, fiddled around with pulleys and belts and belts and pulleys, played around with all kinds of vibration isolation schemes......

I found I had finally duplicated the JET bandsaw that was over $800 that I thought I couldn't afford.

I think the point is more tools is not always better. But I do have a helluva bandsaw now, and I just picked up some roller guides at harbor freight, a bargain at $13. Cuts aluminum all day long with paraffin on the blade. If you buy a bandsaw pay very close attention to the motor mount and belt adjustment system, that's where the Ridgid saw was garbage and most I've seen are the same. If possible pay the extra for adjustable speed, you need less than 1000fpm (best if less than 500) to begin to cut metal.

FWIW a godsend is a small benchtop belt sander, like 4".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.