Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Orange Seal Endurance and it sure smells like it does..... now I'm afraid to put it in my tires.

·
damned rocks...
2,638 Posts
No, not all sealants have amonia, for example Finish Line.
Don't know about Orange Seal.

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
Ammonia is fine for your tires, carbon rims, rim tape and household cleaning chores. It's not so good for bare aluminum rims and nipples. A good reliable tape job will keep it out of the rim and away from the nips. If you suspect the tape is leaking, removing the tape, rinsing out the rim and thoroughly drying it out can halt the progression of corrosion. Best, IMO, are rims with molded rim strips that don't and won't leak into the rims.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Stan's is natural latex, Bontrager TLR is an example of synthetic. And it is ammonium hydroxide, NOT ammonia which is a gas. NH4OH is a cheap OLD SCHOOL pH adjuster but most coatings and sealant guys use secondary or tertiary amines in modern formulas to aid in stability and corrosion protection. AMP 95 is the industry standard for the better products. Maybe Stan's should give me a call if they really are using NH4OH? FWIW synthetic latex systems ALSO use pH adjusters in most formulas, depending on the polymer so it is definitely NOT something unique to natural latex systems.

Have FUN!

G MAN

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Stan's is natural latex, Finish Line and Bontrager TLR are examples of synthetic. And it is ammonium hydroxide, NOT ammonia which is a gas. NH4OH is a cheap OLD SCHOOL pH adjuster but most coatings and sealant guys use secondary or tertiary amines in modern formulas to aid in stability and corrosion protection. AMP 95 is the industry standard for the better products. Maybe Stan's should give me a call if they really are using NH4OH? FWIW synthetic latex systems ALSO use pH adjusters in most formulas, depending on the polymer so it is definitely NOT something unique to natural latex systems.

Have FUN!

G MAN
Finishline does not contain any type of latex.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Finishline does not contain any type of latex.
Since you seem to know so much about Finish Line... please tell them I can help with their preservative needs (since they use a cheap polyol and cellulosic thickener as their "binder" which is an absolute BUFFET for microbial growth).

Have FUN!

G MAN

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
Years ago Stan's had too much ammonia and it made bubbles in kenda non tubeless tires. They toned it down, and the bubbles for kenda went away.

This isn't really something to worry about anymore.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Years ago Stan's had too much ammonia and it made bubbles in kenda non tubeless tires. They toned it down, and the bubbles for kenda went away.

This isn't really something to worry about anymore.
How much is in the homebrew latex mould builder you can buy at Michael's, for instance? I've been wanting to make my own homebrew sealant, but the ammonia in it (plus the copious amounts people are adding to it) has me buying expensive Orange Seal instead.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stan's is natural latex, Bontrager TLR is an example of synthetic. And it is ammonium hydroxide, NOT ammonia which is a gas. NH4OH is a cheap OLD SCHOOL pH adjuster but most coatings and sealant guys use secondary or tertiary amines in modern formulas to aid in stability and corrosion protection. AMP 95 is the industry standard for the better products. Maybe Stan's should give me a call if they really are using NH4OH? FWIW synthetic latex systems ALSO use pH adjusters in most formulas, depending on the polymer so it is definitely NOT something unique to natural latex systems.

Have FUN!

G MAN
I'm experimenting in creating my own sealant and wondering where I could get AMP-95?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts