Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a set of DMR death grips on my bike when I bought it. Bars that came on it are 780mm and need to be cut down a little. The grips are a single clamp with a tapered core lock-on.

Has anyone removed and re installed a tapered core lock on?

I am worried it might slip around after being removed and reinstalled. I had to pound the crap out of these to get them on.

I have some down time while recovering from a fresh plate install on my collar bone and just really got to the point of using my hand again. Gotta fight off the jonesing and boredom for a couple more weeks.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Probably no more difficult to remove without destroying them than traditional non locking grips, assuming there's a small hole on the end where you can shoot some air pressure (assuming you have access to a compressor) in to expand the grip a little.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably no more difficult to remove without destroying them than traditional non locking grips, assuming there's a small hole on the end where you can shoot some air pressure (assuming you have access to a compressor) in to expand the grip a little.
It is a hard plastic core. air still may help the one and a half arm man. Really just concerned with once they are back on again will the stay put.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
It is a hard plastic core. air still may help the one and a half arm man. Really just concerned with once they are back on again will the stay put.
1.) If they were that tight going on, expect a fight getting them off. Don't hurt yourself doing so, seriously. Tilting the bars to allow some WD40 to penetrate from the clamp end down to the other end may help. It evaporates pretty quickly and will not impact reinstall. (used to install golf grips all the time)

2.) I have not used them specifically, but I would expect they would still grip upon re-install.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I put a set of DMR death grips on my bike when I bought it. Bars that came on it are 780mm and need to be cut down a little. The grips are a single clamp with a tapered core lock-on.

Has anyone removed and re installed a tapered core lock on?

I am worried it might slip around after being removed and reinstalled. I had to pound the crap out of these to get them on.

I have some down time while recovering from a fresh plate install on my collar bone and just really got to the point of using my hand again. Gotta fight off the jonesing and boredom for a couple more weeks.
Hi
I hope that busted bone is doing ok?
Did you get the deathgrips off and back on.
They are super tight for sure. I'm not sure air would help at all. Looks like a 2 man job to me.
I heard it's just a matter of twisting and pulling (and looking behind you before you start because once they give you're at risk of falling back).

So, if you've refitted are they staying put now. I guess they weren't as tight to get on 2nd time.

I read another thread from a guy who hammered a pair on and wrote that they are moving after a few rides. I'm amazed because it took all my strength to adjust the rotation slightly after hammering them on!
Thanks
Heal well

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.