Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Stray Bullet
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across an ad here on MTBR for a DK Charger. The parts spec looks pretty but I can't any info on DK's website about the bike. From the pcture it appears to have a Horst link. Any thoughts on it?

Link

Parts spec

Frame:7005 adjustable travel, sealed pivots and forged link
Rear Shock: Fox Vanilla R coil over with adjustable rebound
Fork: Marzocchi Dirt jumper 1 130mm (5") travel
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore Long Cage
Chain Guide: Truvativ Box guide
Shifter: Shimano Deore 9 speed-Right Only
Cranks: Truvativ Hussefelt DH with 40t Ring
BB: Truvativ ISIS giga pipe
Pedals: alloy platform with replaceable pins
Handlebar: Dk 38mm Rise, 660mm length
Grips:Dk mini-flange vice grips
Stem:Dk Forged, CNC 60mm
Headset: FSA Pig 1 1/8
Front&Rear Brakes: Hayes Mx 1-XC
Brake Levers: Hayes HFX-9 HD/XC
Saddle:Dk Huck-it seat
Seatpost:3-d forged alloy micro adjust
Wheelset: Sun Single Track Disc /Hubs: DK Mtb sealed with 20mmFr/QR rear
Tires:Maxxis Larsen TT 26x2.35
Spokes 14g
Cassette: Shimano HG50 11-32t 9speed
Extras: Replaceable derailleur hanger

Medium Specs
Actual TT 570mm
Chain Stay 427mm
Head Angle 69
Seat Angle 73

Large Specs
Actual TT 601mm
Chain Stay 427mm
Head Angle 69
Seat Angle 73

·
always learning
539 Posts
TWISTED said:
No, it's not an FSR Horst Link. The pivot is on the seat stat like a Kona, not on the chain stay, like Specialized.
Look closer...

The frame is similar to the Avent Boost which was pulled due to problems with seatstay breakage, however Adrenaline stocks the frame as we speak. Looking at the lower shock mount and seattube gussets they are different.
I talked to Jesse at DK and he says that although they don't have any more frames to warranty/crash replace, they have never had a problem in 3 years with the Charger FS (there is also a 20" Charger BMX race bike now, a little confusing). I'm pretty tempted to get one at that price, nice all around trail bike.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
tgreathead said:
Look closer...

My big System Cycle / DK catalog #40 has large photos and specifications of all the DK bikes. On the lower half of page 21 is the DK Charger with the rear pivot on the seat stay.

Possibly they have two different styles of Chargers, but the one in the catalog is not a Horst Linkage.

Here's another photo,

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
TWISTED said:
tgreathead said:
Look closer...

My big System Cycle / DK catalog #40 has large photos and specifications of all the DK bikes. On the lower half of page 21 is the DK Charger with the rear pivot on the seat stay.

Possibly they have two different styles of Chargers, but the one in the catalog is not a Horst Linkage.

Here's another photo,
Oh, here's one from "Blue Sky" located in England. It DOES have a Horst Link.
Must be a FSR patent issue. I assume only the US models aren't Horst.

·
always learning
539 Posts
TWISTED said:
tgreathead said:
Look closer...

Possibly they have two different styles of Chargers, but the one in the catalog is not a Horst Linkage.]
Interesting. I notice the gusset isn't there on the seattube too. Must have been an update for the last year, but that's a pretty big change.

·
always learning
539 Posts
TWISTED said:
Oh, here's one from "Blue Sky" located in England. It DOES have a Horst Link.
Must be a FSR patent issue. I assume only the US models aren't Horst.
The only Blue Sky I know of is near LA right here in SoCal. I've ordered things from them before, great guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts