Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have decided for my welding class next semmester i am goin to build a ht bike frame. i will be contacting evil4bc (designer of the nicest frames in the industry, the nemesis project) for some tips but i wnat some other input as well.

i need all questions answered such as material and angles and what type of welding and whatever else i need to kow to build a frame. with 102% in my welding class last year i believe i can build a strong enough frame with high quality welds (probably tig but i dont know) i just need some dimensions.

oh and dont start a flame war, this is not the ultimate dh bike with 10 ft of travel, just a simple ht for park/street/djs
 

·
Meh.
Joined
·
17,508 Posts
Air hardened and heat treated Platinum OX tubing. Either box dropouts with integrated tensioners or sliding vertical dropouts (with optional 24" specific dropouts). Optional replaceable derailleur hanger. Optional bolt-on grind plate or peg mount. Machined chainstay and seatstay yokes. Machined headtube.

21" effective TT
15" chainstays all the way in
about a 40 or 41 inch wheelbase.
12.5" BB height
13" seat tube
70 degree head tube angle
71 degree seat tube angle

Machined stays should provide plenty of clearance for 3.0s if desired. Bonus if the frame can clear 203mm rotors. Bolt-on v-brake mounts. Like a bolt-on arch.

5 or 6 pound target weight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
XSL_WiLL said:
Air hardened and heat treated Platinum OX tubing. Either box dropouts with integrated tensioners or sliding vertical dropouts (with optional 24" specific dropouts). Optional replaceable derailleur hanger. Optional bolt-on grind plate or peg mount. Machined chainstay and seatstay yokes. Machined headtube.

21" effective TT
15" chainstays all the way in
about a 40 or 41 inch wheelbase.
12.5" BB height
13" seat tube
70 degree head tube angle
71 degree seat tube angle

Machined stays should provide plenty of clearance for 3.0s if desired. Bonus if the frame can clear 203mm rotors. Bolt-on v-brake mounts. Like a bolt-on arch.

5 or 6 pound target weight.
all that sonds fine and dandy, except for the fact that i doubt i can get air hardened platinum OX tubing...ive never even heard of it...ill check out the geometry
 

·
Meh.
Joined
·
17,508 Posts
Lots of BMX bikes use TrueTemper OX platinum. Brad uses it too, I think he uses 4130 straight gauge for the stays though.

A high quality butted 4130 cromoly tubeset would be cool.

I kind of like aluminum, so... How about some Easton RAD style tubing? Starts out square at the headtube tapers to round. You should know how to TIG aluminum, right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
XSL_WiLL said:
Lots of BMX bikes use TrueTemper OX platinum. Brad uses it too, I think he uses 4130 straight gauge for the stays though.

A high quality butted 4130 cromoly tubeset would be cool.

I kind of like aluminum, so... How about some Easton RAD style tubing? Starts out square at the headtube tapers to round. You should know how to TIG aluminum, right?
yes i can tig, how do you get the tube square ate the top, im in a high school welding shop...though im starting work in a steel yard....i can get employee discout as well as school discounts...i dont know if we carry what your talking about but when brad pms me back i can see what it is goin to cost me...and here is what a frame with those dimensions (as close as i could get them) would look like



sorry for the small size...go to https://www.bikeforest.com/CAD/bikeCAD.html to design one yourself
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sombrio69 said:
u should put a bend in the top tube, for added stand over hight, and personaly i think it looks cool.
na man...i will probably go with the platinm OX tubing or a 4130 chromoly...either way bending greatly increases complexity and the need for precise measurments...i dont like either though the measuments is not a factor
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cummings said:
Do you want a 24" or 26" bike or one with geometry compatible for both?
i like the feel of 26s although ive never had 24s...i am looking to build and get this bike ready to roll over the course of the winter, and i have no bills or taxes to pay so money is not that big of an issue...this bike will be pimped the f*ck out, what would you guys recomend...i have my flow 2.0 so it wont be used for free riding, just djs park and a little urban
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,555 Posts
DJ's, park, and urban... rock it on 24's! Lighter, stronger, faster.



Short chainstays, most people like steep headangle but I like it like 69 degrees.


22" TT
13" Seat Tube (shorter??)

OX Platinum Air hardened Chromoly is amazing. Standard Byke Company makes their frame out of it. Almost as light as aluminum but also stronger than normal chromoly. It's kickass and feels great to ride on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
standard235 said:
DJ's, park, and urban... rock it on 24's! Lighter, stronger, faster.

Short chainstays, most people like steep headangle but I like it like 69 degrees.

22" TT
13" Seat Tube (shorter??)

OX Platinum Air hardened Chromoly is amazing. Standard Byke Company makes their frame out of it. Almost as light as aluminum but also stronger than normal chromoly. It's kickass and feels great to ride on.
i was thinking 70-71 degrees...12.5 seattube and 22" tt...but i am not building untill mid-late november so i got lots of time to plan it out and make a perfect ht...and save money to pimp the fyck out of it
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top