Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, my buddy is selling his 04 DJ III fork. yea, they're heavy and dont have the best dampening. but I kind of want it for a backup fork/beater DJ fork. he's selling it for $130.00 shipped. it wont rake my bike out or anything. good deal ? yes or no

also fork might get used on a different bike. I dont want a gold label or argyle, because really dont want to spend too much cash as I'm getting short from my mountaincycle.

so, $130.00 2004 DJ III good deal ? heres a pic.

Attachments

·
If u fall, hit it faster!
101 Posts
I have one, in personally like it, put a smidge of air in it and stiffen it up, i like it, i got mine for $150 shipped off ebay, i thought it was a good deal...

·
Registered
10 Posts
You could also just watch ebay real close. I recently picked up an '07 DJ3 for $150 shipped. If you aren't in a hurry for a new fork, you can just sit tight and wait for a killer deal on a nice fork (not neccessarily a DJ seris, I've seen some cheap deals on pikes).

·
Registered
167 Posts
todd I forgot, you answered you're own question in my thread!

todd_freeride said:
very tall and crappy dampening. also they weigh more than my 7" DC fork. it wont affect your ability too much, you'll have to get used to 2-4 pounds of more weight on the front of your bike.
Yes they are taller than a gold label or slammed pike, not by much though, about 2-4cm. They are heavy, for the first few rides but then you get used to them and don't think about the extra pound or so. they weight 2280g without steerer tube from what I've read.
The 2003 ones were plagued with cracking crown syndrome not sure about the 04 ones. 05 ones are tanks; don't break. Oh and as for damping,just put in a thicker oil to slow rebound.

Thats all the info I can scrounge up now.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
colourclassic said:
todd I forgot, you answered you're own question in my thread!

Yes they are taller than a gold label or slammed pike, not by much though, about 2-4cm. They are heavy, for the first few rides but then you get used to them and don't think about the extra pound or so. they weight 2280g without steerer tube from what I've read.
The 2003 ones were plagued with cracking crown syndrome not sure about the 04 ones. 05 ones are tanks; don't break. Oh and as for damping,just put in a thicker oil to slow rebound.

Thats all the info I can scrounge up now.
yea, god, I thought I'd NEVER find myself wanting one :rolleyes: but you know, this fork...is really going to get kind of trashed anyway. I might put it on yet another project bike. its basically a beater DJ bike that I wont care if I have to bail on. so it has to take some really hard hits. and I dont think that a pike or a gold label are really up for that much abuse. because our jumps are pretty big, not very smooth and we bail often.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
I'd rather him not ride a Pike. He'll be a hack, and something will break, and we'll never hear the end of it.

Yes, buy the fork that you've bashed so many countless times, and then praise it after you ride it. :thumbsup:

·
When in doubt, go faster
2,122 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
I'd rather him not ride a Pike. He'll be a hack, and something will break, and we'll never hear the end of it.

Yes, buy the fork that you've bashed so many countless times, and then praise it after you ride it. :thumbsup:
Sounds like the kind of thing you do :rolleyes: ...

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
XSL_WiLL said:

you're a tard will. you just dont want me haveing a pike because you're afraid my bike might still be lighter than yours :skep: for the riding I'll be doing. I'll probably brake this fork in a year, why spend money on a pike ? it'll just do the same. and I have a hard time believeing a pike will withstand really hard use.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
colourclassic said:
Find a Dirt Jam Comp or Pro, they are just as strong and probably cheaper than the jumper series.
well yes and no. they will be cheaper than the dj series. but they arent as strong.

·
When in doubt, go faster
2,122 Posts
todd_freeride said:
you're a tard will. you just dont want me haveing a pike because you're afraid my bike might still be lighter than yours :skep: for the riding I'll be doing. I'll probably brake this fork in a year, why spend money on a pike ? it'll just do the same. and I have a hard time believing a pike will withstand really hard use.
That and him wanting you to have a Pile would be like saying "oh, you are a REALLY good rider you need a good fork," and he will never admit that you can ride the **** out of him.

·
40 oz to freedom
1,049 Posts
If you're really worried about breaking a fork get a Fox 36 Talas. Lower it, and forget about it. They are so fvcking stiff and strong its crazy.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Vinny A said:
If you're really worried about breaking a fork get a Fox 36 Talas. Lower it, and forget about it. They are so fvcking stiff and strong its crazy.
yea, cuz I'm going to spend that much on a fork that I'll trash :rolleyes:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Just get that marzocchi, I really don't think they are that bad, the price is ok but not great for the condition it's in.

Vinny A, did you even read the original post? He doesn't want deplete his bank account.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
=ChrisB= said:
Sounds like the kind of thing you do :rolleyes: ...
Hmm. How's that? Yes, I have a Marzocchi fork. I am not overly impressed, but I am not by any means dissappointed by the ride quality. I am however, extremely dissapointed in customer service.

You're both morons. And as far as I'm concerned, both posers. No, I may not be the best rider in the world, and I have never claimed to be, but from what I've seen from Chris's pictures (that he's very proud of) I feel safe saying that I'm a much better rider than him.

Todd - you are extremely biased and disregard all common sense. Enough said. If you're going to be breaking the fork in a year, why bother buying it at all? Might as well go rigid. As I said, weight is of little concern to me, but obviously if my frame were set up the same as yours, it would be a good 2 pounds (give or take) lighter. And I would much rather have the extra weight and added versatility.

You don't know what you want. This is made obvious by the way that you're constantly moving the parts around, buying, and selling, and buying. But the thing is, you always want to buy the more inexpensive, lesser product. You get what you pay for. In addition, to justify your purchases, you constantly put down anything else out there. And then you're offended when anybody calls you out on it (this applies to Chris as well).

Never said you have to have nice stuff to ride well. I get good deals, and I can afford what I want. It makes more sense for me to buy the good stuff now rather than buying cheap, breaking it, and having to pay for a replacement of lesser quality again in the near future.

Before you say anything, who the hell cares? Are either of you going to meet me in real life? I doubt it. Go on thinking what you'd like. If thinking that you're such a better rider (and person) than I am helps you sleep better at night, I'm all for it.

·
40 oz to freedom
1,049 Posts
I did, but he has this idea that hes gonna keep breaking forks. The cost of breaking forks eventually adds up, so why not save the hassle and get a good fork to start off with.

Either way, I think 150 is way too much for the DJ III

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.