Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

i'm getting close to buying a used jackal for pump track riding---most of the ones i see online are set up as SS however. i had a few questions about going from SS to 1x9 (i want a 1x9 setup so that i can trail/XC ride it in a pinch or bad weather):

-is there a way to tell from looking at the crank/chainring if it will allow 1x9?--i've seen some single ring crank sets online that say "SS only", and some that say you can use them for 1x9. whats the difference?
-How do i know if the rear hub is SS only (i was thinking that if it looked like it could accept a cassette, it might be convertible)?

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
By "SS only" on front chainrings they mean there are no ramps or pins to aid in front shifting. You actually might want this in your front to help prevent dropping your chain. But a shifting one will work too.

Chains come in two widths 3/32" and 1/8". If you are shifting you'll need 3/32 width. Your multispeed rear cassette will be that-you just need to make sure the front chainring is that. "Singlespeed" chainrings come in both sizes.

Would have to know what hub is there.

You will likely want some kind of chain guide system to prevent dropping your chain. For 1X's you need it b/c you're chainline will be tweaked often. There's a lot of options for that.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the help guys! i'm looking at one bike hopefully this week, i'll take a look at the rear hub and also the chainring to see what he is running.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok--i ended up buying the bike. the rear hub is a chris king convertible, so i should be able to slap any 9-speed cassette on it right? the person i bought it from said that the front chainring (truvative) will work w/ any 1x9 setup. let me run and check the chain width real quick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.