Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Killer of Chains
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since recently moving to a steel 29er, my aluminum size large Zaskar has been put out to pasture. It still has all the parts and is a very capable rig, but I'll be spending most of my time on the 29er.

However, lately I've been tailoring my dating towards women who at least have some interest in riding bicycle with me. Currently my lady friends ride old 35lb+ beast of a Magna.

Rather than investing in more bikes for myself I'd rather invest in a bicycle that a potential mate could get into the sport with, but because I'll be lucky to have a girl ride with me once a week it doesn't need to be strictly for a woman.

It was suggested that I look at a dirt jump bike. Long top tube, fairly light, would fit a woman well, but still something I can have fun on.

From the women's perspective, is this a bad idea?

Not looking for dating advice here either.

·
Ms. Monster
1,812 Posts
Ummm. Cool to consider a second steed for loaning out.

Two things about the DJ bike: long top tube is what makes many bikes uncomfortable / hard to handle for the average short-torso woman. Also, DJ bikes tend to be pigs in terms of weight.

Not sure what would suit your specs (fun for you and for potential "lady-friends").

·
Relax. I'm a pro.
1,466 Posts
I have an old Brooklyn Machine Works Park Bike (26/24) that I've let some lady friends use when we wanted to go for a ride. Although it's heavy, it has worked well enough for loaner. One of them enjoyed mountainbiking enough to buy herself a nice Gary Fisher hardtail.

·
Killer of Chains
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
back from the dead.

Lets say I find a DJ Bike that has the same length TT as 14.5 Access or other similar small MTB frame.

Standover will be better, weight will be higher, and she can run a shorter stem (possible better for downhill?)

·
Registered
65 Posts
try a banshee amp comes in both long and short tt and lite alum frame rather than steel .
heaps of fun as a trail bike and great for the dirt jumps.
my daughter rides a banshee rampant 1x9 32 front to 34-11 with 24 inch wheels she can just about climb walls and keeps up with me on the flowy single track easily.

·
I AM I AM
2,222 Posts
I (being a lady) ride a Giant STP as my allround bike, got a longer travel fork on it at the moment for some DH, mind you since buying a BMX I haven't been on it for a while...probably get Hubby to shuttle me for Mothers Day :D

I don't think a DJ bike is a bad idea, they are definitely heavier than the XC whipets but being realistic my bike isn't that much heavier than an entry level XC hardtail would be (ie Giant Alias) and you could put a lighter fork on it anyway.

Besides if you really meet a lady that's into mtb she's more likely to have her own bike, otherwise it's a big expense in buying one that your potential partner might enjoy riding, so go for the DJ type bike mostly if you think you're likely to get the use out of it if the other purpose doesn't eventuate!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.