Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did my first wheel today.29 inch using 26inch tube slit down middle and added stans and slime and air compressor to inflate.Worked first try.Haven't ridden on it so well see.

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
bnelson said:
I did my first wheel today.29 inch using 26inch tube slit down middle and added stans and slime and air compressor to inflate.Worked first try.Haven't ridden on it so well see.
I intend to do the same for some 700c cyclocross wheels and tires.

I tried to do a set with 24" tubes on 26" rims but it didn't work out too well. I ended up pulling it apart and putting tubes in after not being able to get it to seal.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Dan'ger said:
I intend to do the same for some 700c cyclocross wheels and tires.

I tried to do a set with 24" tubes on 26" rims but it didn't work out too well. I ended up pulling it apart and putting tubes in after not being able to get it to seal.
I used 20" BMX tubes to convert my 26" tires to tubeless. Works great! I think the 24" tubes may be to large and not tight enough. Give it another go with 20" tubes. On a set of 29" wheels I would probably use 24" tubes instead of 26" tubes for the same reason.

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
Tim Mailloux said:
I used 20" BMX tubes to convert my 26" tires to tubeless. Works great! I think the 24" tubes may be to large and not tight enough. Give it another go with 20" tubes. On a set of 29" wheels I would probably use 24" tubes instead of 26" tubes for the same reason.
I'm pretty sure my failure was more due to not using soapy water or washing off any debris that might have been on the tube and tire since the 24" tire was very snug on the rim but I'll try it with a 20" tube next time AND clean everything thoroughly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.