Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Santa Cruz Hightower C XXL
929 Posts
I've trued a ton of rims. In my early 20's all my roommates rode bikes. I'd true their rims for dinner and beers. I'd just flip the bike over and do it right on the bike. I'd hold my circular spoke wrench against the fork or seat stay and edge it close to the rim. Turn the tire slowly and make note of where it rubs. Adjust from there. It's pretty easy when you understand how to losen and tighten so you don't develop an egg. :unsure:

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I've never developed the interest (patience) for truing wheels, but have done some over the years in a pinch. Zip ties on the fork or frame always worked just fine. As such, I never invested in a truing stand.

·
Registered
19,326 Posts
Zip ties on the frame or fork will work but it sucks compared to a real truing stand. I do think s decent one could be home built but I'm not sure if would save much compared to just buying one.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Roger Musson's book has clear instructions on building a wood trying stand that works very well.

The entire book is excellent.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.