Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I am new to this forum so be nice to me :). Recently i made a portable bike repair stand, several DIY threads from this forum has inspired me. It is portable and bike clamp can be adjusted to different angle.I used PA tripod speaker stand as a base. I hope someone will be inspired to make their own. :)

Complete how to link:
https://afajarito.blogspot.com/2010/01/diy-portable-bike-repair-stand.html

This is how it looks like.

********************************************************************************************************

·
Registered
213 Posts
Very clean and well done. That's the best and most functional DIY stand I've seen yet. It's too bad the tripod doesn't sit lower though - I guess that's an easy enough fix. Well done once again.

:)
A.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
neex said:
It's too bad the tripod doesn't sit lower though
The tripod legs can be adjusted, I can be lowered all the way down. I'll post a pic when i get a chance.

fightnut said:
Is it stable once the bike is on it? Does it get tippy at all?
It is very stable, it doesn't get tippy at all. You can even spread the tripod legs even more.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone. :)

·
Registered
832 Posts
I have some experience with PA/Light stands and more than likely he doesn't have the legs fully extended. At least on my tripods you can set the legs at any distance from the center to fully extended that you want - from real narrow to about a 4ft diameter circle.

To echo everyone else this is an awesome DIY stand - maybe should be a sticky since stands come up ever other day...

·
Registered
832 Posts
Question for the OP. In the blog you show what I would call the tailpiece - where you use the QR to hold the angle of the clamp - how did you make the 3 cuts?

I know you have listed a chop saw in the materials - are you referring to a chop saw generally used for cutting metal pipe etc or do you mean a miter saw (I know some people that use chop saw for these two saws interchangeably).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
My thoughts were about tippiness, too. Clamp head looks heavy, legs don't seem to splay much or are they just not in the full out position?
The clamp head is not that heavy, the wood blocks just looks big. I could have made it smaller, but I want it to be more stout and able to hold the bike firmly. You are right the tripod legs are not in the full out position, but even at that position it's stable and not tippy at all.

·
Stay thirsty my friends
885 Posts
Wow! A homemade stand that doesn't look like a$$!

Congrats on making something nice and functional from stuff you had laying around.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jbsmith said:
Question for the OP. In the blog you show what I would call the tailpiece - where you use the QR to hold the angle of the clamp - how did you make the 3 cuts?

I know you have listed a chop saw in the materials - are you referring to a chop saw generally used for cutting metal pipe etc or do you mean a miter saw (I know some people that use chop saw for these two saws interchangeably).
I used a chop saw (for cutting metal) not miter saw, don't even try to use miter saw thinking of replacing the blade with a chop saw blade, very dangerous. Miter saw has high RPM motor unlike chop saw. I have a mini chop saw with 6 inch blade, I got it from Harbor Freight years ago, save me time when cutting metals/pipe.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Aron_F said:
I used a chop saw (for cutting metal) not miter saw, don't even try to use miter saw thinking of replacing the blade with a chop saw blade, very dangerous. Miter saw has high RPM motor unlike chop saw. I have a mini chop saw with 6 inch blade, I got it from Harbor Freight years ago, save me time when cutting metals/pipe.
Thanks - Do you happen to know the brand and/or model of the pa stand you used. Hard to find any site that gives dimensions of the stand's pipe. Thought if we had this info it may give a point of reference at least.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As promised, tripod legs in fully extended position.

With tripod legs folded and clamp head dismounted.
If you noticed, the tripod top tube is kinda long, I could cut it short to be more compact, maybe i'll do that later.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Nice little DIY project there. Getting the tripod cheap is the key to making it worthwhile to do though. Otherwise you have spent an afternoon or more recreating the Feedback Sports Consumer stand, which you can get on sale at around $100.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
derockus said:
Nice work, man! Did you intentionally paint it Park blue?
Yes I did. I like Park Tool blue color signature.

Thank you all for the inputs/ nice compliments. I updated my blog, added some pictures/entry to answer questions that members have asked here.Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.