Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure there's a thread about this somewhere, but I cant find it, so here I go:

I'm about to paint an old frame, I've had it sandblasted and now its just bare aluminum. I'm trying to thrifty about this restoration, so I'm gonna go DIY. I dont have access to any paint tools (spray gun, etc) so I'm gonna have to go with a can... my question is, are there paint types/brands out there that are steps up from the stuff off the shelf at walmart? Are there any techniques to keep me from F'ing this up?

Thanks

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
aluminium requires a special etching primer like zinc chromate if you're going to rattle can it, otherwise aluminium oxide will form on the freshly cleaned aluminium quite quickly and provide poor paint adhesion.

If you were going with flat black, a black motorcycle case paint has a self-etching capacity so it forms the thinnest coat of paint possible for good heat transfer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.