Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there familiar with quality DIY frame painting? Every "how to" I can find is some dolt using spray paint and masking tape. I have a compressor and I just bought the correct auto paint gun with the proper spray field but I am having a hard time finding the info I want on paint. I would like to do a flat black with plenty of matte clear coats (I ride mostly in Phoenix, rock chip mecca). I really like the way the matte/flat black Ibis Mojo SL looks. Anyhoo, if someone has info on paint product, I sure would appreciate it. Thanks!

·
turtles make me hot
11,752 Posts
I can't think of the name of the manufacturer right now, but I know there is a quality matte black hot rod paint available as of last year. It doesn't get chalky or break down in sunlight. It MAY be House of Kolor or something like that. If it comes to me, I'll post a link.

·
Huckin' trails
6,060 Posts
Get about any good exterior spray paint to do the job, then use Dupli Color Rim Paint, use the clear color as the clear coat... That stuff get hard as rock and even match factory clear coat on bikes...

What I do is shake it good, spray not too much, then let it dry for 10 min, then another small coat, let dry for 10 min and another one and let dry for 10 min. Then use a heat gun and heat everywhere till the clear coat start getting a wet look, a bit like glass, hot... It would then start to melt and get very transparent and remove any bubbles and marks... Then let it cool down for the night.

The trick is to never use a almost empty can, since you will get small particles every where and it won't go away. And practice yourself on metal parts before, to find just the right combination of heat and drying time. And after the result is a factory like clear coat, super strong and slick... I had a frame where the clear coat has lot of scratch and cracks... I just sanded smoothly to the paint, then apply that clear and it was like new after, no more scratches or cracks.

$10 for a big can, and it's worth it. Or just get the frame to a powder coat shop and you'll be set for $100 and a super durable, top notch bad ass flat black.

David

·
Registered
11 Posts
I´m painting a Fox Fork using Dupli Color sprays, but if you have a compressor, please use it!It´s much better and the final painting is harder and better looking.
I´m going to use a primer layer, a two component paint and after, a couple of lack layers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I highly recommend to take Your frame or other parts to sandblast (there are many other ways for example dry ice blast etc) and after that to powder coating. Much stronger result and nicer to the eyes as well.

I did one bike paint job at home- first sandpaper and then "car spray".. This work took ages and result was not so good. Paint will come off fairly easily after smaller impacts. Another factor is that it will cost more than sandblast and powder coating together.

Hope that helps

·
turtles make me hot
11,752 Posts
Don't sandblast. Glass bead. Sand works the metal and could even cut a hole in the frame if the operater is ham fisted. The frame I said I painted with Rustoleum Hard Hat... First, I removed the paint with Rock Miracle and Scotchbrite. Then, I gave it a low pressure glass beading just to give the surface some bite.

·
Huckin' trails
6,060 Posts
I´m painting a Fox Fork using Dupli Color sprays, but if you have a compressor, please use it!It´s much better and the final painting is harder and better looking.
I´m going to use a primer layer, a two component paint and after, a couple of lack layers.
If you're gonna paint it yourself, use the Dupli-Color Rim paint, clear color for the clear coat. it's the best stuff you can have in a can, next it's powder coat.

David

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.