Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After several weeks and months of reading and waiting for parts and spare time I finally completed my first DIY light, I opted to go with a MCE LED and a Dinotte style light. My objective to was to build a respectable helmet mounted light to complement my bar mounted Cygolite Rover 2. I figured that I could complete this build for under $100, wishful thinking with the MCE and in a few days of getting the parts. Below is a compete parts list, assuming builder has no existing parts necessary to begin this build.

LED - CREE MCE - $34.49 - LEDsupplydotCOM
Driver - Buckpuck 1000mAh - $15.98 - LedsupplydotCOM
Optics - Luxeon L2 - Smooth Spot - $3 - LEDsupplydotCOM
Brass Plug - Nibco 3/4" - $4.21 - Home Depot
Aluminum tubing - 1" - $12.48 - Lowe's (only comes in 11' lengths)
Pot - 4.7Kohms 20% - $15.88 - Mauser
Battery Connectors - Deans - $5.88 - Hobby Works
Battery - Li-ion 18650 14.8V 2200mAh - $32.99 - All-Battery on Ebay
Charger - Quick Charger - $20.99 - All-Battery on Ebay

miscellanious items

Adhesive - Artic Alumina - $11 - Ebay
Power Cable - 16 gauge lanmp wire $3.50 - Home Depot
Screw and Washer - $.50 - Hardware store
Brass Plug used for end cap - Nibco - $4.21 - Home Depot
Grommets - # 6 - $1.75 - Home Depot
O-Rings - # 30 - $3.94 - Home Depot

Total cost for parts $171, plus time spent modifying and mocking up tubes. Although I spent way more than I expected I would I still enjoyed the expirience. If not for the help of many on this forum I would not have been able to begin or complete the light. After building the light I realized I made a terrible choice in optics and need to get some proper optics to make this light perform.

Here are some pics of the build.

I am not anticipating much demand for a full write-up as this turned out to be an expensive build. However if there is interest I can follow-up with a complete build-up.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Nice work... yeah it's amazing how fast all those small parts add up! Wow that was an expensive pot... and don't forget shipping! Anyway, nice build, but replace that lens with a Ledil Boomerang SS reflector (cutter.com.au) and you will be much happier with the beam and your light. Those L2 optics work great with a Luxeon or the SSC P4, but not so well with the MC-E.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Achesalot, I completely forgot about shipping. After looking at the expense spreadsheet I can tack on another $35 in shipping fees! Making this a very expensive DYI, just don't tell my wife. I like the pot, controls on/off and beam intensity!

p97z, I am planning on testing the tempt on the light tonight. I will take some pics and post in a few minutes.

Achesalot, any idea if I can get the boom reflector from a state-side vendor or do you know if anyone is planning a bulk order on the forums? I might build a few more for friends.

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/1502968-reflector-ledengin-5-10w-led-boomerang.html

Do you think this is the proper Boomerang lense? I hear it can take weeks - months to get things from Cutter.

Extra thanks goes to p97z, Langen, HuffyPuffy, and TheBigYin for answering all my questions!

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'm glad I could help!

If you can't get the boom reflector to fit, maybe you could use a modified IMS20 reflector? I think Achesalot posted IMS20 pictures in his MCE thread.

For the front of a reflector you can use a clear glass lens that fits an AA mag light. Just put the glass over the front of the reflector and run a small bead of silicone around it to keep it in place.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tempature test

So I wanted to see how hot this beast got so here is the uber-scientific results.

This pic shows the outside tempature tonight,

Here is a baseline temp reading of the exterior aluminum tubing before turning the light on,

yup, thats a meat thermometer

So after letting the light sit outside for 11 minutes on full blast I checked the temperature again and here is the result

WOW, does that thing get hot! I should add that there was no air movement over the light and 41 degrees F is not incredibly cool to begin with.

·
Registered
500 Posts
snowhoss said:
Achesalot, any idea if I can get the boom reflector from a state-side vendor or do you know if anyone is planning a bulk order on the forums? I might build a few more for friends.
That one seems to be for a different LED (LED Engine), but the fact that they are carrying the Ledil Boomerang is a good sign. Perhaps they will be stocking the ones for the MC-E eventually. The one they show looks similar, but I'd have to check on the LED engine similarity to the MC-E.

·
Arf, he said.
273 Posts
achesalot said:
That one seems to be for a different LED (LED Engine), but the fact that they are carrying the Ledil Boomerang is a good sign. Perhaps they will be stocking the ones for the MC-E eventually. The one they show looks similar, but I'd have to check on the LED engine similarity to the MC-E.
DigiKey does carry the MC-E Boomerang reflectors. They were backordered for a while but mine are supposedly on the way right now.
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=711-1065-ND

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.