Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually they are cut down Brinkman lights. The Brinkman head allowed me to just drop in an IMS 20 without any filing or sanding. I only needed to file the stars to get them to drop in the head. Each light has a downboy regulated at 1000ma.

I used mag light caps on the end because they looked cool and gave a little better water tight seal.

I can also pull out the reflector and drop in different degree optics if I want. By turning the head you can snug up shorter relectors.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They weigh about 60-70 g each. I'm using 8 AA's in my jersey pocket. The battery pack is made using two 4AA battery packs from radio shack. When I run 1 light I use a 4AA battery pack from radio shack.

I can change the reflector from an IMS 20 to a flood and put it on my bars. There is a notch in the back shown in the first photo. The notch is used to keep the O-ring from slipping when it's mounted on my bars. The O-Ring is attached like a DiNotte light.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Downboy from here. http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?products_id=478

20mm Reflector from here
http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?cPath=48_50_64&products_id=400

Battery holder from radio shack... with a switch...
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062254

I have used a AA mag light but it's a lot of work to get the reflector to fit. I bought a brinkman from here.
http://www.brinkmann.net/Hot Deals/...lashlights+&+Spotlights&sku=804-1040-0&id=673

I think you could use one of these flashlights and use the switch from the tail.
http://www.brinkmann.net/Hot Deals/...lashlights+&+Spotlights&sku=800-1040-5&id=652

Arctic Alumina from here
http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?cPath=48_39&products_id=171

K2 LED from here
http://www.ledsupply.com/05027-pw14.php

Instead of Arctic Alumina i have used JB Weld.

Downboy 16.50+shipping
20MM IMS 5.00+shipping
AA 6.80+shipping
JB Weld 6.00
Flashlight 6.99+shipping
Wire and Connectors ~6.00 radio shack
LED 8.99+shipping

Total with shipping was less then $60.00

I had the 4AA batteries and charger.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you don't want to spend the money on a downboy, you can use a 1ohm resistor. I have a mag light as a backup that uses a resistor. You are not as flexible though using different battery packs with different voltages.

·
Registered
16 Posts
is the stairway with all lights off? both lights, or just one? also is the heat sink a solid piece of aluminum stock? With time you will be asked all these questions, I am proud to be the first, I love how small the lights themselves are, its really neat.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All house lights are off. Both helmet lights are on. The heat sink is a solid piece of aluminum a little over an inch long (Home Depot). It is epoxied (Arctic Alumina) to the case and there is just enough room for the wires to run through (one side). The length of the lights are 3 1/4 inches but could be a little longer or shorter depending on the optics (the head is free to turn in or out).

I used two downboys so I can run one on the helmet and one on the bars if I want. When I run one on the bars I use different optics so it's flood and not a spot (like in the picture).

·
Registered
500 Posts
p97z said:
Here is a shot up my stairway. I was standing 13 stairs back. I don't have any outside... yet.
Shutter speed 1/8 sec
Aperture F/2.8
ISO 160
p97z. I'm sorry that you don't have an outside. It must be rough riding your bike up and down those stairs :)

It looks a little on the spotlighty side, and that is a typical problem with the Luxeons and IMS 20 reflectors. Flashlight guys just love that throw. On the trail we need a combo of the throw and some side fill. I think my first LED bikelight was a flashlight mod as well. It really eases the problem of building a housing, which turns out to be most of the work.

Nice work and thanks for sharing. It's certainly a good lighting solution for $60.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
achesalot,

Your design inspired my first (and second) LED bike light. I like your triple square tube design, it’s simply brilliant. Reading your how-to got me interested. The only problem I had with my implementation was the water resistance. I put a piece of plexiglass in the front and put a thin layer of caulk around it. I got caught in the rain twice and both times I had to take it apart to dry it out. My cuts weren’t that straight so some water must have leaked in.

With the flashlight design I can spread them apart and get a little wider beam but your right with 20mm IMS reflectors, it’s on the spotty side. I have tried it with some 6 degree optics also. It's not as spotty.

I’m working on a triple CREE driven by a bFlex now…

·
Registered
500 Posts
p97z said:
achesalot,

Your design inspired my first (and second) LED bike light. I like your triple square tube design, it's simply brilliant. Reading your how-to got me interested. The only problem I had with my implementation was the water resistance. I put a piece of plexiglass in the front and put a thin layer of caulk around it. I got caught in the rain twice and both times I had to take it apart to dry it out. My cuts weren't that straight so some water must have leaked in.

With the flashlight design I can spread them apart and get a little wider beam but your right with 20mm IMS reflectors, it's on the spotty side. I have tried it with some 6 degree optics also. It's not as spotty.

I'm working on a triple CREE driven by a bFlex now…
Glad I was able to inspire you:)
Yes the waterproofing thing has always been a challenge. I've not had mine leak, but I've only ridden in a light sprinkle or two. The power connector and switch I use are not really weather-rated either.

Good luck with your Triple Cree/bFlex... can't go wrong there. What lenses are you using?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm not sure about optics... I've got some CREE and Seoul P4s on the way. I have some L2 optics now. I have one Carclo 6deg now. The Carclo is awesome! I'm waiting to see what works with the Seoul then i'm going to mount them in a cigarette lighter adapter.

If the lighter adapter doesn't work... I'm going for the square tubing idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
500 Posts
p97z said:
I'm not sure about optics... I've got some CREE and Seoul P4s on the way. I have some L2 optics now. I have one Carclo 6deg now. The Carclo is awesome! I'm waiting to see what works with the Seoul then i'm going to mount them in a cigarette lighter adapter.

If the lighter adapter doesn't work... I'm going for the square tubing idea.
Same here... waiting on some Q2-bin XR-Es and some U-bin Seoul P4s that just shipped out today. I don't know what to use with the SSC P4, we'll just have to see what works best.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.