Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I'm attracted to Gravity!
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finished.

Thanks to Eric at Epic Designs for inspiration and the lead on where to source the Spectra Gridstop fabric I used, which can be hard to find.

Two zippers, with a velcro divider between them. Its a little rough in places, and doesn't fit quite perfect along the downtube, but should work great.

Major props to Eric at Epic Designs Alaska and Jeff at Carousel Design Works for doing such quality custom work! It is truly a labor of love, and they should be charging much more.......

I'll be testing it this weekend!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Looks good. I have made plenty of sewn gear and am planning to make a frame bag shortly. Any recommendations about:

bag width vs. tube diameter
size of side panels vs. exact size of frame opening
cable interference (my cables run on bottom of top tube)

Thanks for any input... I'd rather make something functional the first time.

·
3,049 Posts
campredcloudbikes said:
Major props to Eric at Epic Designs Alaska and Jeff at Carousel Design Works for doing such quality custom work! It is truly a labor of love, and they should be charging much more.......
Nicely done, and I agree. Once you get into DIYing you realize what a screaming deal a lot of outdoor gear is.

I've made frame bags for both of my bikes:

As well as a gas tank, which works on both.

The Karate Monkey pack has some funky seam lines, but works very well. The first effort at the Lenz pack resulted in a redo: I ripped some seams and recut one piece to change the dimensions.

I figure on making each pack two inches "wide," so with seam allowance cut the edge pieces to 2.5". I sew in thin foam to all the places the contents might contact the frame tubes; this keeps things quiet and provides some structure and stiffness. The thing that drove me crazy about my Jandd frame bag was that I couldn't easily open it with one hand. When you custom size the bag to the frame, and arrange the velcro to hold good tension, you can open and close it easily while on the go.

The finish work can be tight. Figure out the order you'll sew things up to make your life easier. The last two stitch lines on the gas tank was a royal PITA.

Watch out. Making your own stuff is habit forming. I made this pack (and used it backpacking this past week):

As well as a synthetic vest, and a bunch of modifications to stuff I have.

Good thread.

·
I'm attracted to Gravity!
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bag width - I cut the width panels at 2.5" on the top tube and seat tube, then cut the downtube one at 3" - I should have done them all at 3" for a bit more volume

panel size - I traced the exact frame opening and added a 1/2" seam allowance all around. Getting the right side's three panels with zippers correct was a bit tricky - may be easier to cut a single right panel, then cut slits for the zippers, so the right panel exactly matches the left.

cables - my rear brake cable is on the top tube and the rear derailleur cable in on the downtube, but they both have full housing so it was a non-issue for me.

I used French seams which worked fine up until the last seam, I couldn't turn the front of it inside out far enough to get the second line of stitching on the inside. I just had to zig-zag stitch it on the outside over the raw edge. Maybe figure out a different seam type to use for the last one. The velcro also kept sticking all over latter in the project, so maybe something to cover it would be good.
Have fun!

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
ionsmuse said:
Nicely done, and I agree. Once you get into DIYing you realize what a screaming deal a lot of outdoor gear is.

I've made frame bags for both of my bikes:

The Karate Monkey pack has some funky seam lines, but works very well. The first effort at the Lenz pack resulted in a redo: I ripped some seams and recut one piece to change the dimensions.

I figure on making each pack two inches "wide," so with seam allowance cut the edge pieces to 2.5". I sew in thin foam to all the places the contents might contact the frame tubes; this keeps things quiet and provides some structure and stiffness. The thing that drove me crazy about my Jandd frame bag was that I couldn't easily open it with one hand. When you custom size the bag to the frame, and arrange the velcro to hold good tension, you can open and close it easily while on the go.

The finish work can be tight. Figure out the order you'll sew things up to make your life easier. The last two stitch lines on the gas tank was a royal PITA.

Watch out. Making your own stuff is habit forming. I made this pack (and used it backpacking this past week):

As well as a synthetic vest, and a bunch of modifications to stuff I have.

Good thread.
Dave - you wouldn't happen to have a template for the KM bag would you? My wife is quite handy with her Pfaff (pronounced super expensive German sewing machine). I like that your design retains the water bottles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.