Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Your bike is incorrigible
Joined
·
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I needed to shift my chainline over to the driveside by a few millimeters. Because of the size of rear tire I wanted to run there was no way to correct the chainline from the BB. Instead, I removed the second smallest cog and used it as a spacer behind the cassette, knowing that that would be the best way to get the spacing right. I don't care that this means I have only 8 effective gears. What worries me is that this would somehow put more torque on the freewheel. So I'm wondering if anyone else has done this and is it a bad idea?
 

·
Your bike is incorrigible
Joined
·
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry

Haroow said:
pics please?
I tried, but there is something wrong with my camera.

Really I don't see how this setup is that different from normal. The spacing is the same. The second smallest cog is resting between the rest of the cassette and the freewheel. Just imagine looking behind the cassette and seeing a small cog between the cassette and the spokes. I was going to go with a regular spacer, but figured why not just use the cog?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
774 Posts
no problems

Guyechka said:
I tried, but there is something wrong with my camera.

Really I don't see how this setup is that different from normal. The spacing is the same. The second smallest cog is resting between the rest of the cassette and the freewheel. Just imagine looking behind the cassette and seeing a small cog between the cassette and the spokes. I was going to go with a regular spacer, but figured why not just use the cog?
I have been running a 11-34 shimano and removed the 11 tooth cog and use a 12 tooth lock ring for the last 6 month also to have a better chain line , several pro XC riders do this as to run Big - Big ring to cog it's the same as moving your bb 2.54mm to the inside !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,939 Posts
Spin Cycle said:
I have been running a 11-34 shimano and removed the 11 tooth cog and use a 12 tooth lock ring for the last 6 month also to have a better chain line , several pro XC riders do this as to run Big - Big ring to cog it's the same as moving your bb 2.54mm to the inside !
I'm confused. The lock ring is not a sprocket; i.e., it has no teeth.
 

·
All 26.5" all the time!
Joined
·
1,855 Posts
Guyechka said:
I needed to shift my chainline over to the driveside by a few millimeters. Because of the size of rear tire I wanted to run there was no way to correct the chainline from the BB. Instead, I removed the second smallest cog and used it as a spacer behind the cassette, knowing that that would be the best way to get the spacing right. I don't care that this means I have only 8 effective gears. What worries me is that this would somehow put more torque on the freewheel. So I'm wondering if anyone else has done this and is it a bad idea?
Shouldn't be a problem. Torque is spread evenly over the entire freehub body no matter what gear you're in.
 

·
hands up who wants to die
Joined
·
1,405 Posts
No problem... I did the exact same thing as you so that I could fit a large tire. It worked fine... and you know what? I never missed that 11T high gear. ;)

-r
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top