Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These things are all over the internet, and now here's mine!

Notes:
- Bought the 3/4" pipe clamp, 3/4"x18" black pipe and 3/4" flange at Home Depot for about $23 total. I had left over 2x4s in the garage from another project so that's why I made the rest of the frame from wood.
- I used a soft wood (birch I think) for the "clamp blocks" so they would have a little "give."
- I routed out the shape of the clamp components in the wood clamping blocks with a Dremel about 1/8" deep. I then used the steel brush attachment to rough up the paint on the clamp components and glued the wood blocks to the clamp components with Amazing Goop glue.
- The recycled tube I used for scratch protection works perfectly. No need for a shop rag.

Oh, and here is my PVC rack for my truck. The extra "piece" on the right-most station removes to fit a 26er or 29er. When it's in place, it holds my daughters 20"!

· Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks good! How does the single upright 2x4 hold up to the weight?

I always like seeing homemade stuff. I made a steel rack for 3 bikes several years ago in a friends shop. One of the best/useful things I have made.

-Brett
It was just a little flexible, hence the gusset support I used from one of the leg scallops, but it's pretty sturdy now. I figure I can always add another 2x4 perpendicular along the back if I need it stiffer. However, tried it with my 26er and 29er (in picture), but I'll admit I just got it built. I mainly built it to hold the bikes while I wash them down after a ride and I haven't done that yet. Stay tuned and I'll update if I need to mod it for any reason...

· Registered
260 Posts
Just a quick question for the OP'er, how much did that stand cost, I mean even if you had it laying around you paid for it sometime. I ask that because northern tool sells a bike stand for $49 and is often on sale for $39. It is no Feedback stand but its not bad for a home wrencher. I got mine for $39 and I have had no problems. Nice rack for the money. I know those clamps can be $10-20.

· Registered
260 Posts
How much was the pro stand? Was it just given to you? Just wondering. I am just saying there are inexpensive options out there. I have a few homemade items laying around as well and it is awesome making something from scraps, but not all people have the ability to make these things. I like them though.

· Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Just a quick question for the OP'er, how much did that stand cost, I mean even if you had it laying around you paid for it sometime. I ask that because northern tool sells a bike stand for $49 and is often on sale for $39. It is no Feedback stand but its not bad for a home wrencher. I got mine for $39 and I have had no problems. Nice rack for the money. I know those clamps can be $10-20.
Clamp, pipe and flange = $23, wood = maybe $5. Thought about the harbor freight one too, but didn't look sturdy enough for me or as easy access all around the bike. Plus, I'm an engineer and love building stuff like this for pleasure ;)

· Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Well, finally got to use it last night cleaning up my son's bike. Works really great! I'm happy. Like I said before, it's a little flexible, but it's really not bad at all. When I was running a rag between the cogs on the cassette to degrease/de-grime them, I wished it had just a little more torsional stiffness. However, just putting my knee up against the rear tire stabilized the little bit of shake I was getting. I put a sketch below for a stiffer version with a 4x4 upright instead of a 2x4. The scalloped legs also flex just a little as well, so I stiffened those in the sketch by scalloping only half way up the legs. However, I like the way I have them scalloped in my original build because I'm not tripping on them at all as I move around the bike cleaning it, which was the exact point of the scallops. All in all, I'm really satisfied. If I had to do it all over again, would I build the stiffer version below? Probably not... What I built is pretty light and easy to move around if I want to move it to get better light in an area, all while the bike is still attached! :thumbsup: That would be tougher with the weight basically doubled in the sketched version below...

· Registered
731 Posts
How much was the pro stand? Was it just given to you? Just wondering. I am just saying there are inexpensive options out there. I have a few homemade items laying around as well and it is awesome making something from scraps, but not all people have the ability to make these things. I like them though.
I made an adjustable pin spanner from a piece of 1/8" x 1/2" bar stock and a couple of nails. :D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.