Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm looking for a new front tire and have narrowed my choices down considerably. I need some help deciding.

I'm 6'2", 225 pounds and ride a rigid SS in the midwest (Illinois). The conditions vary widely from hardpack to loose dirt/rock, sand and mud depending on the time of year. I do not ride when it is really muddy so I'm not worried about that.

I'm looking for a wide tire with more cushion and better performance upfront. I have listed a few cons and Pros (in brackets) for each of these tires based upon what I have read.

Dissent: HEAVY (big and sturdy tire)
Weirwolf LT: not great in the mud (rolls very quickly)
Rampage: Slower rolling and sidewall issues (predictable & corners well)
Ardent: Sidewall issues (Low rolling resistance & high traction)

Thoughts, Opinions?

Thanks,
Winky

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Well, I think you can narrow it down to two right away. The Ardent and The WW LT. For all around use, I would then narrow it down further to the Ardent in the 2.4 inch size. (Put the WW LT in the back!)

That would be what I would choose here in the Mid-West from what you have given as choices.

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
I've used all but the Dissent quite extensively. Concur with your assessment on the WeirWolf in the mud. It's great in the dry....On to the others. I don't think you could go wrong with the Rampy or Ardent 2.4, however, will give my nod to the Ardent 2.4 as that's what I've found to be THE BEST compromise to fast rolling, high-volume, high traction performance on my rigid SS.

FWIW - I didn't think the Rampage rolled too slowly (compared to the Nevegal anyway) and it served me well for many, many months tubeless.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I second the Ardent 2.4. This tire is awesome. Maybe sidewall issues on the 2.25, but not on the 2.4. I run it front and rear fully rigid, i'm 205lb, and have been riding the living daylights out of them. It is the best 29er tire I've tried for my purposes. I ride rocky terrain, drops, jumps, loose, dry etc this tire never fails me and never flinches.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Winky said:
Hello all,

I'm looking for a new front tire and have narrowed my choices down considerably. I need some help deciding.

I'm 6'2", 225 pounds and ride a rigid SS in the midwest (Illinois). The conditions vary widely from hardpack to loose dirt/rock, sand and mud depending on the time of year. I do not ride when it is really muddy so I'm not worried about that.

I'm looking for a wide tire with more cushion and better performance upfront. I have listed a few cons and Pros (in brackets) for each of these tires based upon what I have read.

Dissent: HEAVY (big and sturdy tire)
Weirwolf LT: not great in the mud (rolls very quickly)
Rampage: Slower rolling and sidewall issues (predictable & corners well)

Thoughts, Opinions?

Thanks,
Winky
I agree with GT, take the Dissent and Rampage off the list. The Dissent is more tire than you need, it weighs over 1500 grams! The Rampage was a decent tire, I ran them front and back for a season. They have decent traction and decent rolling resistance, but volume is lacking IMHO. There are better tires available now. The WW is a great high volume tire, but not a great 'all conditions' tire. When it gets wet, traction suffers alot. That leaves the 2.4 Ardent. I have one in the back of my rigid SS and so far it has been great. high volume, good traction, and decent rolling resistance. Mine actually buzzes my chainstays a bit, where the WW, Rampage, and Racing Ralph did not.

I actually run a Racing Ralph 2.4 in the front and love it. Yes the sidewalls are thin, but I find that I rarely have sidewall issues with front tires anyway. But I also weigh 40 pounds less than you.

I say go for the Ardent 2.4, and run it tubeless!

Mark

·
Registered
919 Posts
+1 for the Ardent 2.4. I've got them mounted f&r tubeless on Flows. Was able to seat the beads easily with just soapy water and the floor pump. The rubber isn't as sticky as a (NLA) Stout, but it's a great all-around tire.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I've got almost 2000 miles on my front Rampage tubeless. I love it when people say they have thin sidewalls! All I ride are rocky rough trails. There aren't any smooth trails here in the Phoenix area. Is it the right tire for you? Probably not. Tires are like seats and grips. Every body has a different take on what works and why. It all depends on your riding style. Do you brake late into corners,lean the bike a lot or a little or just flow. The suggestion so far are good. I just thought I would stick up for the old Rampage a little so it didn't get its feelings hurt with the new tires on the market.

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
There's less of a chance of sidewall issues with tires mounted up front. When I lived in a really rocky area, I shredded ignitors, bonty xr's, and others out back, but they always lasted a long time up front. I wouldn't consider sidewall strength a major concern for a front tire for xc.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
My recommendations using the tires you listed, but added one:

Volume + traction: 2.4 ardent f/WWLT rear
Speed + volume: WWLT f/WWLT rear
Speed: WWLT F/Crossmark rear or 2.25 ardent f/crossmark rear

I live in the midwest and probably encounter similar terrain. I'm running WWLT f/crossmark rear on my rigid SS. For the year or so I've used this combo it has worked very well.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I've ridden WW LTs most of this year, and I agree they are awesome, except when slick. I would switch off to Rampages for traction, but I'd miss the smooth feel and cush of the Weirwolfs. I just recently got Ardent 2.4s, but only have a few ride in mostly frozen conditions, but so far I think they'll take the place of the WW LTs for me. Similarly big and baloony, but with more bite. What I'd really like to see would be the tread of the Rampage on the carcass of the Weirwolfs.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks!

Hey,
I decided to go with the Ardent 2.4, it'll be here by the end of the week. Hopefully it will give me more float in the snow and when the weather warms better performance in the rough. Thank you for all of your help and input.

Happy Trails,
Winky

·
Rider and Wrench
1,478 Posts
For those who have run the Rampages and the Ardent 2.4's can you give me a comparison? I purchased a set and mounted one up and found on my Stans Arch wheels they were about the same size as my 2.35 Rampages and weighed somewhere around 100g more ea... not that I am overly focused on weight but I also don't add it just for fun... Are they that much faster that it evens the gain out? Are they like the 2.25 Ardents that like to really rail (lean) rather than casual corners?

I run the WW LT's on a Rigid most of the year but as we all know they are limited when it is slick (up front at least..) and I swapped out to Rampages for the slop- they offer good grip and do remind me of a 29er version 26x2.1 Nevegal (the 29X2.2's are just too much tire...

I run an Ardent 2.25 Front in the summer w/ a crossmark out back w/ Rampage front winter and the Ardent out back on my F/S

I ride East coast PA/MD rocky rooty but noting crazy

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Had not heard that before, good to know and not disputing that but I ran Ardent's 2/2s front/back hardtail ghetto 6 months till worn down on colorado front range (ROCKY) singletrac with no sidewall sweating (sometimes a pretty good sign of thin and weak sidewalls...all the kendas) or cuts with only minor abrasions etc.
Kinda heavy, but other than that really good, still running them as semi-slicks now lighter :D.

·
This place needs an enema
16,919 Posts
bikeny said:
I agree with GT, take the Dissent and Rampage off the list. The Dissent is more tire than you need, it weighs over 1500 grams!
Just wanted to clarify--I've got 10 different Dissents and the heaviest one is ~1250g. Nothing over or even close to 1300g.

Still not ideal for the OP's needs, but I hate to see misinformation being spread.

Cheers,

MC

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.