Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for any recommendations on dispersed (free) camping near good trail systems in VT. Prior to the pandemic I made a couple of trips to KT and while I enjoyed the trails - no dispersed camping nearby. There are a couple of spots near Lake Willoughby that I know of. I'm over KT after the closure of some of the trails a year or two ago.

I have heard the Mad River Valley has some great trail and separately have heard there is lots of dispersed camping. However when I look at Trailforks - it appears as most trails are in the populated areas and no chance of national forest service land dispersed camping nearby. Any suggestions? I've tried looking at iOverlander & Freecampsites.net while looking at trailforks as well as Green Mountain Forest maps and can't come up with any decent spots.

As far as other spots - not quite remote - but looks like killington allows overnight parking/camping in one of their lots. I went there to ski once or twice back in the late 90's...worth spending a couple days camped in the parking lot there?

FWIW, moved to southern Maine almost 3 years ago after a lot of time bouncing around the west coast with a couple year pause in DC. Have a fully self contained pop up truck camper that can get anywhere a full size truck can get to.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've driven through there after camping and riding Moose Brook. Agree, lots of options there for remote parking/camping. To me - in all but a small-ish sport car, seems like about an hour of driving from most of those spots to a good trail head. I've actually found a decent area to get a dispersed spot that I think is closer to north conway - but still end up driving 30 mins to get to a trailhead. Which reminds me that I need to get out and explore more of the west side trail areas in/around north conway. I've ridden there once or twice and the number of gravel roads I crossed made it look promising for some dispersed camping somewhere out there.

My ideal state would be ability to camp at or w/in a 10 minute pedal to a trailhead of a good trail network. Since I'm in a pop up truck camper - ability to "stealth camp" inside towns and what not is not really there, nor do I want to push those boundaries.

I know surgarloaf outdoor center allows camping in the parking lot and you can pedal from right there. I did it for the back country challenge pre-covid and once for a winter fatbike race. Just looking to expand a bit into what I've anecdotally heard about in VT & NH

·
Registered
183 Posts
The Mad River Valley might be your best bet. Not sure about a 10 minute pedal from a campsite to a trailhead, but a 10 minute drive (or a bit longer road pedal) should be possible. Blueberry Lake in Warren is right on the edge of the national forest, and the Waitsfield trails aren't too far up the road. Plenty of good truck camping options off of any number of national forest roads in the area...

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Mad River Valley might be your best bet. Not sure about a 10 minute pedal from a campsite to a trailhead, but a 10 minute drive (or a bit longer road pedal) should be possible. Blueberry Lake in Warren is right on the edge of the national forest, and the Waitsfield trails aren't too far up the road. Plenty of good truck camping options off of any number of national forest roads in the area...
Thanks. Is Dana Hill road w/in the national forest boundary? Or is it gated? Maps I have on gaigps don't show it as gated with public land on both sides of the road. Google satelite shows a couple of dirt offshoots that should be within public land. Would be a great central area to base camp and pedal the waitsfield trails.

·
2,707 Posts
I don’t think Dana Hill rd is national forest so I’d be careful about camping off that road. I’ve run into people in MRV that are very aware of people on their land.

You’ll have to venture a mile or 2 further south, near Sugarbush, if you want to primitive camp in the national forest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think Dana Hill rd is national forest so I'd be careful about camping off that road. I've run into people in MRV that are very aware of people on their land.

You'll have to venture a mile or 2 further south, near Sugarbush, if you want to primitive camp in the national forest.

Thanks again. I'm not the type to knowingly park on private property and hope to get away with it. When I first moved to the northeast a couple years ago, I saw a couple of promising spots around kingdom trails and even saw some people doing it. I couldn't roll the dice of setting up and having a post ride beer or two only to be told I'm poaching and need to leave.

·
stoneblender
380 Posts
The best camping is on Austin Brook Rd off Rt 100. It’s very close to Blueberry Lake and we’re hoping to connect them. Please do not drive or camp on Dana Hill Rd. It’s state land with no camping and the road is largely privately maintained and prone to erosion.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The best camping is on Austin Brook Rd off Rt 100. It's very close to Blueberry Lake and we're hoping to connect them. Please do not drive or camp on Dana Hill Rd. It's state land with no camping and the road is largely privately maintained and prone to erosion.
Did take a look at the road and decided not worth the effort to get up/through even without your mentioning privately maintained.

Did look at FR25 and FR160 near Austin Brook. 160 has several fantastic looking sites, but unfortunately full of folks that look like they intend to push the 14 day limit.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Does it have to be dispersed? Moosebrook State Park in Gorham has a nice campground and you can ride to the trails. $25/night.

The lack of camping within 30 minutes of North Conway is a real bummer. We just got back from a week in town renting a house and I did wonder if there might be opportunity to buy a piece of land and create an MTB focussed campground?

·
stoneblender
380 Posts
Granville has a ton more sites and if you don’t mind a few hundred feet of walking, there are some cool spots off Stetson Hollow. The road ends past the house in a wide lot and you go up the trail beyond the big berm.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does it have to be dispersed? Moosebrook State Park in Gorham has a nice campground and you can ride to the trails. $25/night.

The lack of camping within 30 minutes of North Conway is a real bummer. We just got back from a week in town renting a house and I did wonder if there might be opportunity to buy a piece of land and create an MTB focussed campground?
Yeah, looking for dispersed. My rig is set up to be very comfortable for extended stays off the beaten path.

FWIW, I've parked a few times at Hub North. Way cooler vibe and more chill than moose Brook state park camping as the couple that owns Hub North are HEAVILY involved with the local MTB club and there aren't as many folks there.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Granville has a ton more sites and if you don't mind a few hundred feet of walking, there are some cool spots off Stetson Hollow. The road ends past the house in a wide lot and you go up the trail beyond the big berm.
I think I'm in the Granville area now and happen to think the site I'm at is worth the drive. I'm happier if I can get a fair bit of solar where I camp and the area I'm currently in happens to be about the best combination of no neighbors with views all around. Awfully difficult to find that in the northeast once one compares the percentage of public land here compared to out west…which is where I started all of my camping and riding adventuring.

·
beer thief
4,915 Posts
There is plenty of free camping close to North Conway. You can camp right at the Mineral Site trailhead off High St./Passaconaway Rd. for up to 14 days. There are also free campsites off Town Hall Road in Bartlett. I can think of a couple of municipal parking lots and lots of on street parking where you will not get hassled. I wish the rest of the East coast was this low key.

Killington does have some great riding nearby. The Green Mtn Trails in Pittsfield are about 6 miles away, Pine Hill Park in Rutland is 15-20 minutes down the road, and the Sherburne trails are just a couple minutes and worth a quick hit. Plus the bike park, of course.

I own a piece of land in East Haven less than a mile from the Moose Haven trailhead. No facilities so you need to leave no trace. You can DM me if interested.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.