Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m still getting my bearings when it comes to Prescott trails. I camped at White Spar campground last fall, and while the riding was great some guy felt it appropriate to run his Harbor Freight generator 24/7 for the entire three days I was there, further cementing my feelings about camping around other people. No thanks.

We have a self contained truck camper and can get pretty much anywhere a bigger 4x4 can (anything short of Jeep trails). Any tips on quiet, clean dispersed camping areas near a decent trail network?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
One of the best areas is off Thumb Butte Rd. Just past the Painted Rock TH the road takes a left and turns into gravel. Dispersed campsites start appearing immediately. The best ones are at the top of the hill near the start of trail 333. These allow you to get further from the road to avoid dust and have a bit more privacy. 333 is a fun trail and there are many more in the vicinity. Trailforks! There are some decent sites off Walker Rd. near the top of trail 305 where it turns into the Smith Ravine Trail. Another option is up Senator Highway past the end of the pavement. You would be near the Spruce Mt. loop and not too far from trails 62 and 396, which are part of the Prescott Circle Trail.

Clean and quiet? Hopefully. Many sloppy campers out there these days. And lots of near homeless folks living in the woods in their cars. Please don't add to the human waste problem (portapotty or wagbags a must, imo) and leave the sites cleaner than you found them.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,852 Posts
Also up Copper Basin past trail 48 and 393, this basically gets you into the circle trail, so lots of options off that. Being higher up (and not Thumb Butte) it might see a bit less traffic. I believe there are some lower sites below these trails on Copper Basin too.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Vegetation Plant Automotive exterior Plant community Tree
Finally made it out! Scored a great spot near 333 and had a blast riding that area and out into Spence Basin. Campsite was cleaner than I expected (although I would love to see wag bags or a toilet become mandatory for overnight stays) and quiet enough.

Can't wait to get out for more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.